Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 351 AT
Looking for some friendly advice on spending money.

Last year I put a 94 SD 351 into my 96 MAF that had a factory 302.

After some wiring fun it was running great and was a nice loud toy to annoy my neighbors. Even got it to pass inspection with no CEL. The donor motor was from a 94 F250. Yes a Cleveland but it I got an entire truck for 500 and parts galore. The best part was the motor only had 59,000 original miles. Resealed it, repainted it, put all new accessories on it and like I said was running great.

I didn't replace the oil pump because of the low miles. Doh! My brother borrowed it as a daily driver for two months. Loved it. Then one day he had oil pressure fluctuations on the way to work. On the way home he lost pressure. Checked the oil and it was fine. Added a quart and kept driving. About a mile from home it started knocking and lost power. Sounds like a spun bearing.

Here's where the community comes in (for those of you who read this far). Since the motor is low miles I'll pull it and look for obvious damage. But since I'm in no hurry would it be more efficient to have the shop rebuild what I've got, look for another donor, or check into thr rebuild market? Share any pros cons or war stories to make life interesting. I must be a masochists because I'm looking forward to tearing this thing apart again...

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,137 Posts
I prefer to rebuild. You may not have much of an issue, and can reuse pistons and other parts. Or take the opportunity to build the engine you want.

The 351 Cleveland was only made until 1974. The 94 f250 would have a 351 Windsor from the factory, and likely an F4TE roller cam block, the most desirable factory block.

·
Man of endless projects
8,915 Posts
ya that wont be a Cleveland, it would be a Windsor

if its a roller block i would rebuild it, they were only avalible 94-97 and are pretty desireable. useing an earlier block can be used but theres a few things to know. one being the dizzy gear material with flat tappet cams.

the way i see it is that any donor engine will at a minimum be 23 years old. and at this point they are mostly pretty worn out. im sure theres some low milage engines around still but there such a gamble. some people say look for a engine from an Econoline, but as someoen who drives one for work i would never use one from a van. they get the least maintenance and work the hardest.

you couldjsut replace the crank and bearings. there not too expensive remaned fithe engine is truely low miles

·
Super Moderator
23,914 Posts
Yo

Consider Ford remanufactured gas engines ".. are built using parts that are specific to make, model, year and emissions calibrations. Each assembly is engineered to help perform like new..."
Ford Motorcraft PTF200
Usages:

1996 - 1996, Bronco, Liter: 5.8, Cylinder(s): 8, Bore In:4.00, Stroke In: p3.50, Reman
This part may take up to 15 days to fulfill

Your Price: $2,967.88

MSRP: $3,124.08 Core Charge: $400.00

Gas Engines And Transmissions Limited Warranty Statement
Pdf Icon [View Complete Limited Warranty Statement. ]
Ford remanufactured gasoline engines and transmissions are covered by a three-year/unlimited-mile warranty.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Stroker time!
Pull it and rebuilt it yourself, since you're in no hurry.
And you already have MAF, so you're gold there.
Just need larger fuel injectors and probably a few other little things?

This is assuming you're going to keep the Bronco for a very long time and want that self-serving bad-ass feeling of having done it all yourself.
Otherwise, crate engine it.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Depends on what you want out it in the end.
First thing is see what's bad. Sometimes it's easier / just as cheap to replace bad stock parts with upgraded parts - depending on what want out of it.
Do you have a machine shop close to you trust?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm glad to see the responses are unanimous. It makes it easier when there isn't a devil's advocate. I'm surprised by the Windsor info. I had done some checking on the motor when I pulled it and was thinking I had it right. Learn something new every post I guess. Good to know though thanks. I had a good shop in NC. There's a little shop nearby here in PA this will give me an excuse to check it out. I'll see what I can figure out on my own first. With the mileage as low as it is I'm hopeful that most of the tolerances are still good. Thanks! Now off to search for a thread that shows how to upload my profile pictures in the new FSB platform

1 - 7 of 7 Posts