Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 351 pulls like a Clydesdale all day long, but doesn't want to start when hot. Starter cooks right next to the exhaust.

I got a space blanket for it and wrapped it, haven't tested it out yet.

Has anyone used one, or found a better way?

·
Super Moderator
25,819 Posts
yo
You should have a heat shield in there too.

and Yes, I've seen peple use that good stuff w/great results; incl wrapping ait intake tubes to filter (in later years) and covering filter box, and then again on air tubes to TB.

What Brand did you buy?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Exhaust tape works as well, that is the shiny foil on one side, and yellow insulation on the other. The starters I have for sale in the vendor section wont need wrapping, but they are not as cheap as the blanket or tape. Ceramic coating your headers will make a huge difference in overall engine compartment heat too. If you just have stock exhausrt amnifolds, you might expect to be replacing a starter soon. Might get away with some new bushings in it now. But if the coils are heat soaking to the point it wont start, it could be close to its end. Or you may have a bad wire in the start system. A voltage drop could easily effect the starter and cause it not to start when hot. Do you know how ot do a voltage drop test?

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
I had a heat reflector type blanket for my starter. Tried to fix the same issue your having, but the blanket did not help much. Still went through starters.

·
Registered
215 Posts
look up "PMGR Starter" that's the only way to go with these trucks, as I feel ya on the starter issue, i have gone through dozens of starters for my truck over the years, i always buy junkyard starters for 10 bucks a pop, since new ones cost over 150 and i have never had luck with them lasting. the pmgr starters are the next gen starters used in 92 to 96 models i believe. gear reduction FTW.

·
Registered
178 Posts
look up "PMGR Starter" that's the only way to go with these trucks, as I feel ya on the starter issue, i have gone through dozens of starters for my truck over the years, i always buy junkyard starters for 10 bucks a pop, since new ones cost over 150 and i have never had luck with them lasting. the pmgr starters are the next gen starters used in 92 to 96 models i believe. gear reduction FTW.
PMGR starters are a lot better than the older direct drive starters, but there is something a lot better than them. Ford originally made the PMGR, now they are made Visteon (off shore), so you cant buy one made in North America (small shops like mine still make them, but we and others are small). But even when Ford made the starter, they had major issues with them on FedEx trucks. They would not last 90Days on average.

The solution was Ford went to Denso. Most guys would know Denso as many racing starters are based on what Denso made for 4cyl Japanese cars, and later Dodge products. Denso's 4cyl starters had no issues starting 15 to 1 motors.

Denso came up with a solution for Ford and FedEx, 228000-8432 and 228000-8440 are the part numbers from Denso. The automatic version is now also avaiable in a Chinese knock off as well. Here is a link to the Denso product description: http://www.densoheavyduty.com/documents/salesbrochures/1/DENSO 12v Gear Reduction Starter Sell Sheet for Ford Gasoline Engine Applications.pdf

We have customers with these on 1000+hp engines for over 5 years, same starter and about 10 different motors he has been through. They are sealed really well, have 4x4 customer write me about starting it under water. The PMGR isnt sealed very well, and frequently fails when oil seeps on the armature. The Denso for Ford is the only true desinged for severe duty use starter in the world. All the racing and 4x4 starters you see are adaptions from an exsiting automotive or forklift application.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts