Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all....I got a 1990 Bronco with a 351. Looking for some cost effective ways of adding a little more horsepower to it. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
It depends on your budget. Headers would be the most straight forward for 10 or 15 horses. The radical approach would be to stroke it and go with heads, cam and intake which would require maf conversion on a 90 351W.

·
Pissin' into the wind
2,523 Posts
Spend some money on helping the Bronco breathe better. Exhaust, intake, intake filter, etc. Also look into freeing up some of the power that is already there, like adding electric fans and getting rid of the engine driven fan. Stuff like that.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
The bigest bottlneck on your stock 351w is the Intake manifold, followed by the factory mufler, then the small exhaust ports in the heads, then the exhaust manifolds, then the TB, etc etc

You can do small things like ignition upgrades and a K&N filter, but you will always be fighting the previously mentioned bottlenecks.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
The problem with replacing the intake on the efi is that they are pricey for the 351W and there will probably be problems witht he stock computer. Then as Gacknar pointed out, the E7 heads will limit the intake.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
BlueBronco said:
The problem with replacing the intake on the efi is that they are pricey for the 351W and there will probably be problems witht he stock computer.
Pricey, Yes.

Mess with the stock computer, No.

Intake manifold, TB, headers and heads are all ok with the factory S.D. computer.

It's the cam you gotta wory about.
You must keep the LSA at 114*, any lower affects the vacume in the intake. Vaccume readings are verry important to S.D. engines.

jam0o0 said:
is it posible to do any good with a dremel on the factory intake manifold? in terms of porting? ir is it not worth it since i'm guesing i couldn't get to the middle fo the runners.
Nope

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to do this........air intake (K&N), headers, and exhaust. I talked to a guy and he said he would do true duels on there for me, with or without cats.

what do you all think? any gain in horses?

This thing has some kind of air pump set up. would it be worthwhile to disconnect all that crap? where I live I don't have to do emissions, but maybe sometime in the future. maybe I could leave the stuff there, but put on a different belt to bypass it. would that work? or does the air pump set-up even reduce anything to the motor? :wacko

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Cocoyam said:
I think I am going to do this........air intake (K&N), headers, and exhaust. I talked to a guy and he said he would do true duels on there for me, with or without cats.
1. You can make your own intake tube setup yourself for less.

2. True duals need a properly placed and sized crossover pipe to work properly.

3. Put cats on it.

4. The drag from the smog pump is measured in the 1/100 of a hp.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Lowes or Home Depot, dude! :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts