Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching quite a bit lately about my 5.8 in my 96 bronco. My bronc currently has 195k on the original motor and trans(auto). I've read a lot about what some of you have done in the way of heads, cam, and intake upgrades. I have a 5.8 donor motor out of my dad's 88 f-150 (hopefully no differences in block) to rebuild while i am still using my bronco as a daily driver. I am leaning towards a build like gack's to get my performance levels back to stockish or better since i am running a 4" lift and 33's. I was hoping to get some feedback from some of you that have similar setups. Real world differences with the upgrades. Performance, mileage, and towing noticeable differences is what i am looking for. BTW so far i have done k&n drop in and bassani y-pipe and cat to 3" magnaflow muffler with 3" maremount tailpipe. I would upgrade to headers when i do the motor swap for sure. Any insight would be appreciated, you guys have helped so much already with my exhaust upgrades and quarter panel repairs! Thanks
Tyler

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
I have a 5.8 donor motor out of my dad's 88 f-150 (hopefully no differences in block)
I would bet that your engine is roller, or atleast roller ready. I doubt the older block is.

I am leaning towards a build like gack's to get my performance levels back to stockish or better
If you build one like mine, I guarantee you will be better than stock. :thumbup

The best advice I can give you is do not skimp on heads or intake.

·
Registered
852 Posts
must be nice to think about such things over yonder. Can't do it here unless you know someone, or you have 2 engines. One original for smog, and the other one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gacknar,
thanks for the input. Can i convert the 88 block to roller easily? I'm thinking of building up that motor and doing the swap in a weekend. I really don't want to sacrifice the daily driver! I'm not opposed to finding a roller block in a salvage yard if i need to. Keep the good info coming.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
Gacknar,
thanks for the input. Can i convert the 88 block to roller easily? I'm thinking of building up that motor and doing the swap in a weekend. I really don't want to sacrifice the daily driver! I'm not opposed to finding a roller block in a salvage yard if i need to. Keep the good info coming.
You can get retro rollers from Crane Cams foe $4oo.oo+. They will work with ay normal roller cam in a non roller block.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well that makes it a go, i'm gonna start the tear down on the donor motor this weekend. i would still like to hear some seat of the pants reviews of a build up on a 5.8:rockon

·
Registered
904 Posts
couple things abuot that block. First off, roller ready 351 blocks are worth BIG bucks, so dont expect to find one cheap in a JY. And as far as rebuilding one engine, it makes very little sense to rebuild the 88 351 unless its already in the process of, or has very very little mileage and wont requrie machine work.

But, assuming things arent that perfect both are going to need to be bored out and stuff, so you might as well do it to the good block and save the cost of the roller conversion (Which is about 2x that of a regular roller cam for a roller block). If you need to be driving your bronco then throw the other 351 in there for the time being, you might as well do this right and with no regrets.

juts my 2c...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts