Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a 351 5.8l V8, and i have recently been having some issues shifting. Every gear the rpm's get real high and if i let off the gas a little and get back into it then itll shift no problem, its either that or it will shift real hard. Im not sure what it is just hoping it isnt anything too major, Please help me. Thank yall in advanced!

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Is your speedometer working? The VSS sensor in the rear axle provides the speed information to the PCM, speedometer, and cruise control. The PCM tells the E4OD when to shift. No signal from the VSS and the trans goes into a mode whereby it protects the trans by putting full line pressure to the clutches (etc.) in the trans. Full line pressure causes the hard shifts.
Do some searching, the VSS failing is a relatively common problem.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Do you have any other symptoms? ABS light? Overdrive on/off light blinking?
Most auto parts have code readers for your '96, if you can limp it to one, there might be codes that could help diagnose your problem, there might be codes even if your Check Engine light isn't lit.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,098 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thank yall, The check engine light switches back from on to off, I did take it to the auto parts store down the road and his reader did not fit, so im not sure how to run a self test on it.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Alright thank yall, The check engine light switches back from on to off, I did take it to the auto parts store down the road and his reader did not fit, so im not sure how to run a self test on it.
You '96 is OBDII, you need to use a scanner to read the codes. The scanner port is under the dash, about in the middle to right side, IIRC it's labeled ECM TEST.

The TPS is located at the bottom of the throttle shaft. You'll have to remove the throttle assembly from the upper manifold.
Removing the throttle is not hard, but there are coolant lines going to it so you'll have to drain some of the coolant. Replace the gasket between the TB and the manifold when you replace it.
The screws look like Phillips head but they are actually Reed-Prince. A Phillips "sorta" fits the head, and the screws are locktited in.

SeattleFSB has a great write up on the TPS, look at:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/901029

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You '96 is OBDII, you need to use a scanner to read the codes. The scanner port is under the dash, about in the middle to right side, IIRC it's labeled ECM TEST.

The TPS is located at the bottom of the throttle shaft. You'll have to remove the throttle assembly from the upper manifold.
Removing the throttle is not hard, but there are coolant lines going to it so you'll have to drain some of the coolant. Replace the gasket between the TB and the manifold when you replace it.
The screws look like Phillips head but they are actually Reed-Prince. A Phillips "sorta" fits the head, and the screws are locktited in.

SeattleFSB has a great write up on the TPS, look at:
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/901029
Alright, well they can not run a test on it with one of the readers but under the hood there is a conecter that has EEC TEST on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts