Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 351 W 4 Bbl crate motor in my 84 Bronco, to replace the tired 302.
I want to put a new oil pan and water pump on, but I'm having trouble getting the right parts from the auto parts store. Because the 84 didn't come with a 351W they can't tell me what pan and waterpump I need.
The build ticket that came with the motor says it is a 69-74 351-W. When I used that info at the store the oil pan sump was wrong, and nothing would bolt up to the water pump.

HELP! Does anyone know wht I should be asking for?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
try just looking up the parts numbers for a 1984 Bronco 351W?

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
stepchild88 said:
Ditto on that. Most parts store counter people only know how to punch the year, make, model into the computer and that is the end of their ability. There hasn't been any change in the block design in that area so an 84 351W oil pan for a Bronco will fit just fine.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,967 Posts
stepchild88 said:
The 351W became available for Broncos mid-model-year 82.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Your best bet for a pan itself is to get one from a junkyard. Make sure you see how your dipstick is routed, could be in the front cover, could be in the block and a tiny recess in the pan (more likely this one) If you get the pan off an engine...get the pickup too, then order a 351W oil pump. Make sure you get a rear sump pan BTW.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts! The rest of the story------- I bought the motor from Ford Racing. They tried to sell me the parts exchange manual, But I didn"t need it! (LOL) I now have the right waterpump and the pan is on order. The one they sold me was for a car. Oh well! Live and learn. Now all I need are the front brackets, also a special order.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
or a $20 item at a junkyard....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts