Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing my engine build right now. I bought a timing cover off a guy on another forum. This one seems to be a little different then the one on the other motor. If you are looking at it from the front of the truck the old one had a timing indicator that looked like a little scope with a peep hole where you could see the timing marks if you were using a timing light. The indicator was on the bottom left of the front cover. The new cover has a little arrow that lays up against the balancer, but , is clocked at about 2:00 when the other indicator was clocked at about 8:00. What do I do now? The new cover has a hole casted in it and it wont let the old peep sight timing indicator mount there.

Also what is the hole for? It's not threaded and it goes straight through to the oil pan. It is looking up not out like the bolt holes.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The "casted" hole, I believe, is where the oil dipstick went on some of these motors. Just my 2 cents.
Good Luck

·
Registered
66 Posts
Be carefull when swaping timing covers. My friends waterpump didn't match when he used a differant one. check that before you get it set up.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont know if this is relavant on a 351w but on a 302 you really have to pay attn to the timing covers because they are different depending on if it is a serpentine belt motor or not. The water pump runs opposite and the water jackets in the cover are different.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts