Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this would be the best area to post this question on but wasn't really sure where it'd fit in.

I read an article several months ago and I can't for the life of me remember the details. I read about a custom head swap that used 351C heads. I believe the heads had to be cut and rewelded and I recall the heads went on a completely different engine, like from another manufacturer and made some ridiculous power with minimal other mods. I'm wanting to say maybe this went into a jeep 4.2 or 4.0 straight 6, where they cut a head in half and mated it to another head... but I can't find it anywhere.

Does anyone on here have any clue of what i'm talking about. I cant remember where I read the article but this is pretty much the only forum I use so.. thought I'd take a shot with the FSB infinite wisdom. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

Thanks!

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
It has been done since the 70s on the ford big block inline six. The main reason is to rid the inline of its u-port heads. The Cleveland head is crossflow, meaning exhaust and intake ports are on opposite sides of the head, and can flow much more.

The Preparation H drag car driven by Bruce Sizemore had this very combo. Bruce is currently working on a crossflow head based on an LS head. There is a long detailed thread about it over on the FordSix forum.

There is a pic floating around of a chopped and welded LS head on one, but no video or proof it runs. They have also sliced 2 300 heads like a hot dog bun and brazed the taller halves back together for bigger runners. LOTS has been done to improve the 300, since ford basically left it in its neutered form. The Frenchtown Flyer also races a big six with a priceless Ford Prototype Crossflow head and is making 600 hp, naturally aspirated. Both of these guys are on FordSix and gladly share their experiences and knowledge.

Old school pic showing it's been done.

Screenshot_20200115-113023_Chrome.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
@cobrajoe might have some insight, too. i feel like i remember reading something along the lines of welding heads together but i don't remember the details.

however, i know people would put cleveland heads on a windsor engine and call it a clevor.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perfect! It must have been a 300 inline. I knew it was that or a Jeep engine just couldnt remember. I saw a pic of one of the engines built that had a cut and welded head and I recall a 600 hp figure so that must be where I read it at. I always thought something like that would be really cool to do in a bronco or f100 but doubt there are many places that would take on that task for very cheap.

THANKS

·
Addicted to Junk
10,840 Posts
Perfect! It must have been a 300 inline. I knew it was that or a Jeep engine just couldnt remember. I saw a pic of one of the engines built that had a cut and welded head and I recall a 600 hp figure so that must be where I read it at. I always thought something like that would be really cool to do in a bronco or f100 but doubt there are many places that would take on that task for very cheap.

THANKS
You would be best off buying the aluminum crossflow that Bruce is developing over on fordsix... it'd be cheaper and better.

This is a long read, but you will learn a lot.

Permanent 300 Six Cyl Head CFM solutions- A Work in Progress - FordSix Performance Forum

1 - 5 of 5 Posts