Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 79 f150 with either a 351 modified or a 351 cleveland...when we bought it the guy told us it was a cleveland but it came from the factory with a modified. i know that both are almost identical so if anyone knows any easy to tell differences please let me know. im taking the motor out soon so when i get the casting numbers ill post them

·
Registered
88 Posts
The 351 M and the 351 Cleveland are actually quite different in several ways. I could get into all the technical info, but if it really does have Cleveland I would want to verify that by the serial number. DEPENDING on how how you're going to use this beast, you may want to remove the cleveland as they are quite rare these days!! Just my humble opinion, but I think the 351 cleveland ( for it's size ) was possibly the most powerful engine Ford ever made for any production vehicle. I have never actually owned a 351M, but what I've heard is that they are not the best V-8 to have in a truck and are pretty weak in the bottom end. AGAIN this is not based on experience, but only what several owners of these engines have told me. Look up the 351 cleveland and the 351M on the 'net and you should be able to tell the difference by appearence right away!! Good luck.
Oh as far as quick way to tell them APART i know the cleveland Does not have a coolant hose rinning into the intake manifold.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info. do you know anywhere to check the numbers because ive tried searching the net and just cant seem to find annything. im taking it out now and if it is a cleveland i think im gonna make it into a stroker so itll be bad

·
Registered
220 Posts
thanks for the info. do you know anywhere to check the numbers because ive tried searching the net and just cant seem to find annything. im taking it out now and if it is a cleveland i think im gonna make it into a stroker so itll be bad
There is a book at Barnes and Nobles or other major book stores called Small Block Ford Engines. It has the Cleveland listed in there with numbers that will tell you what year it was and if it was a 2 or 4 bolt or not. My friend Curtis had a 4 bolt Cleveland in his truck when he bought it, I saw it myself. Someone put it in there. He pulled it and sold it for some green.

The M series engines have a large following with some truck owners including myself. They are good motors when equipped with the right cam, intake, carb and header. Stock they just plain ole suck. Like I said though, with a few modifications, the modified motor will do quite well in a truck, mine runs great. I have a 4 speed in my truck and on the highway I don't need to down shift (don't think I could anyways) and it just gets right around people when I need to pass and has excellent bottom end right off the line.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Look at the bellhousing. If its the smal housing then its a 351c, if its a large housing then a 351m/400. You can also measure across the intake, the 351c is smaler than the 351m/400 but I dont recall the measurment of either and I'm to lazy to go out and get the 351m/400 measurment for ya..lol. Maybe I will feel like it later.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
highly unlikely to have a cleveland in an F150 from the factory.
Even more unlikely to have a 351C built using a '77 casting series truck block. LOL..that casting number told the whole story already.

351C never went in ANY Ford truck..ever..in the US. Closest thing to a truck the Cleveland ever went in would have been the Ranchero..

·
MORTAL KOMBAAAAAAATTT!!!!
3,075 Posts
i got the casting munbers off the block. its D7TEA3B...if anybody can tell me what it is i would really appreciate it
351M 75-80 D5AZ D7TE-A2B Big block(429/460) bellhousing pattern, big block motor bosses. Shares characteristics with 400

www.kellyhotrod.com

·
Registered
684 Posts
I've been beatin' on my 351M in my '78 F-250 for years now......no race motor, but it's never been apart & was/is is used like a 3/4-ton truck.

·
Premium Member
4,205 Posts
While we're on the subject of the 351C vs. The 351M, I've researched them both a little further and am finding that they are more similar than I thought. So is it true that the 351M/400M were unreliable? From what I've read so far that does not seem to be true.
If unreliable means that they are known to be pretty well beat at about 250,00 miles or so..yup..unreliable they are.:toothless

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.