Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read the old posts, and saw where someone pulled the outer ring off the balancer when trying to pull the harmonic balancer. I didn't know it was 2 peices like that, so I of course did the same. How important is that outer ring?
It seems like a bitch to get back on, because of the rubber ring that has to slip in between them. Can I run it without that outer ring?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
No you can not run it without the outer ring, it will vibrate, you need to get a new or used one, even if you could press the outer part back on you would have to get it in the EXACT position if was in from the factory in order to time it right.. if you would have used the right tool to take it off you would have NEVER run into this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
if you would have used the right tool to take it off you would have NEVER run into this problem.
X2. The right tool is only $15 or so, and free to rent at a lot of places, no reason to not use one. You've ruined the balancer, time for a new one. The rubber between the inner and outer rings is bonded and vulcanized in place. When you pull it apart, it will never stay together again and it'll take out a lot of parts when it comes apart the second time.

·
Registered
980 Posts
if it came apart don't even bother trying to put it back together, just get another one
where are you located, I have one

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if it came apart don't even bother trying to put it back together, just get another one
where are you located, I have one
I'm in Va. And from what I have read, the one from a 400 is not the same?
I had no idea than it was a 2 peice, or I would have used a puller with longet tabs to reach down and get to the balancer. I know now:doh0715:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you should invest in one of these..... http://store.summitracing.com/large...30&Prod=OTC+Flange+Pullers&img=sun-6930_w.jpg i found one cheaper than that at the Mac's Hardware in town here so i'm sure you can find one around your town cheap too..
Thats more along the lines of a steering wheel puller. I have one of those, I found a puller at harbour freight that will work better, as it has longer teeth that come down behind the balancer and grab the balancer, not the ring.

·
Premium Member
4,169 Posts
Thats more along the lines of a steering wheel puller. I have one of those, I found a puller at harbour freight that will work better, as it has longer teeth that come down behing the balancer and grab the balancer, not the ring.

???..that IS the right puller he linked you to..and there is no other kind of correct puller than the one in that link. You pull balancers with bolts in the pulley bolt holes and never any other way.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
???..that IS the right puller he linked you to..and there is no other kind of correct puller than the one in that link. You pull balancers with bolts in the pulley bolt holes and never any other way.
you're right. I even have that kind of puller, I didn't even have to go out of my way to rent the wrong one.:doh0715: I feel like an idiot now, but I tell you one thing, I know better now after all this. Thanks fellas!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts