Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 351m is an Autozone crate motor, I bought it 6 years ago and installed it pretty much stock, with headers. Still the old 2barrel carb that I had rebuilt. It ran great for a long time, new plugs and wires from time to time, change the oil 3-5k every time, but pretty much trouble free. Untill rescently I hurt the engine? Pretty sure I over reved it, slight loss of power, and it now pops and cracks out the dual exhaust when coasting, a little more throttle hesitation as well? Whats most likely the cause? Internal Engine damage? Possibly dropped a valve or calapsed a lifter? :barf

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
I think those motors are prone to bending pushrods when over revv'd, hope thats all it is....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bent push rod or jumped a tooth on your timing set would be my first inclinations.

Same here, bent push rod is REAL likely. I have trashed a timing set in a 400m, but that was in the plow truck and cheap timing gears. I would look into it before it manifests itself into bigger issues. Just my .02

Good luck

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have trashed a timing set in a 400m, but that was in the plow truck and cheap timing gears.
Depending on use and abuse...6 years isn't out of the question to need a replacement chain. I've busted a double roller cloyes units over a 6 month period. If you don't have a timing gun, and timing is off far enough, put a dollar bill in front of the tail pipe(s), if it gets sucked in, rather than blown out, you have a timing issue.

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
^^^^ or a bad exhaust valve.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
^^^True...and if that's the case, popping the valve covers, a straight edge should give you an idication of which one is bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Depending on use and abuse...6 years isn't out of the question to need a replacement chain. I've busted a double roller cloyes units over a 6 month period. If you don't have a timing gun, and timing is off far enough, put a dollar bill in front of the tail pipe(s), if it gets sucked in, rather than blown out, you have a timing issue.
Hey i did this but with a $100 dollar bill and it got sucked in and it wont come out now what do i do?

·
Nvr Been Bnnd
8,675,444 Posts
Retard the timing to 32* ATDC and rev to 2500 rpm's...... It'll make change.:toothless

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
If you don't have a timing gun, and timing is off far enough, put a dollar bill in front of the tail pipe(s), if it gets sucked in, rather than blown out, you have a timing issue.

"Hey i did this but with a $100 dollar bill and it got sucked in and it wont come out now what do i do? "

"Retard the timing to 32* ATDC and rev to 2500 rpm's...... It'll make change. "

OMG! You guys are cracking me up!

ROFL!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts