Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie to the FSB & M series stuff so I'll post up here and hope not to get flamed!

I'm seriously looking at picking up a 1980 Bronco w/ siezed 351M. The owner says its all original and that it has a 351W in it (he's not mechanical AT ALL). From what I understand, Ford didn't start dropping the 351W into Broncos until mid year '82 or so. It's also got a 4 spd granny low trans (T-18/19 or 435). Everything else is in good working order according to him. Engine overheated and locked up. I'm hoping to go get eye's on it this afternoon and verify what is actually in it. Only reason I'm entertaining this at all is he's only asking $250!

Anyhow, I've got a great low mileage 302 in my '69 Bronco that'll be available to throw in it as I'm swapping in a fresh EFI full roller 5.0. My main question is, if it is infact a 351M in the '80 will the 302 drop right on to the frame towers? I'll get the appropriate engine mounts, of'course, but just wondering about where the mounts actually bolt to the frame. I've also got the flywheel, bell housing and scatter shield for the 302 to mate up to the 4spd manual that's in the '80 right now. Looking at getting this thing running to be my DD here on Oahu. The '69 is the wheeler and I'm also building a '68 right now for the hard core stuff.

Thanks for any info you've got here! If it's a huge project I won't bother as I have too many of those going on right now. Looking for a quick, straight forward swap to get this thing to DD status with the 302 I've already got as that engine is coming out anyway.

Fungus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can tell you that the 351M and 302 use different bellhousing patterns (you'll need a different transmission).
I would think the tranny will work as long as I have a 302 manual bellhousing (which I do). I've swapped 435s into Early Broncos before that came off of 360/ 390FE engines and bellhousings. They bolted right up to the SBF manual bells. You are absolutely correct that the engine side of the bells have different patterns but the trans side of the bells should be the same.

·
Registered
108 Posts
R u sure the engine is seized up? Have u tried turning the crank?

·
Registered
'88 XLT. 2" lift, 3G, Saginaw Pump, Headers, High flow 3" cat, 3" exhaust, 6 litre tune, K&N
188 Posts
If you buy it, pull the plugs, clean all battery cables and cables at the starter, clean grounds, shoot some penetrating lube in the cylinders wait overnight and see if it will turn over. It might have just had weak electrical connections, a weak starter, or it was hydrolocked from a bad head gasket.

If the head gasket was bad and there was water in cylinder consider it a core. 351M are not hard to find used for a cheap fix. Seems like you can't go wrong for $250. It is worth that as a hulk to a scrapper.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts