Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Nope they are completly different engines, besides the displacement.

I think that the 351m is based off of the 351c, anyone know if parts will interchange between the two?

·
Registered
63 Posts
broncoMJV said:
Can any parts from a 351c be swapped on to a windsor for more horses? :toothless
Cleveland heads can be adapted to fit on Windsor blocks, that is how the terminology "Boss" was conceived. A "Boss 302" was a 302 windsor block with
351 cleveland heads, block has to be clearanced for valves. That will also require a wider engine bay, C heads make engine about 3 inches wider. If not into installing higher compression pistons it would be a waste of good heads. A302 windsor is easily capable of 400 horsepower, 351 about the same but with more torque.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mrit said:
Nope they are completly different engines, besides the displacement.

I think that the 351m is based off of the 351c, anyone know if parts will interchange between the two?
351M is a 400 that has been destroked, heads and rods are the same, piston has a different pin height,1/4" I think different.

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
A 351c and 351m are the same block, the only difference being the deck height. The heads will interchange between the two, as far as I know that's it. The bore and stroke are also the same.

As far as I know no parts will interchange between the 351w and 351c.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Yak said:
A 351c and 351m are the same block, the only difference being the deck height. The heads will interchange between the two, as far as I know that's it. The bore and stroke are also the same.

As far as I know no parts will interchange between the 351w and 351c.
I don't wish to jump into a pissing match with you but,your education on Ford engines will continue a bit.
The heads will work on a windsor block, that IS how a "302Boss",was built.The 302 block used had 4 bolt mains on #2,#3,#4 main journals. Moroso did sell an intake designed for the 351W using cleveland heads, called it a "Street Boss" intake.
351C/351M/400 are from what is known as the 335 series engines, and as you say are pretty much identical-externally. Main bearing diameter is much larger on the 351m/400 engine, 3.00 in, versus 2.75 on a C engine.You cannot use a C crank in an M engine,or vice-versa without major grinding.
Now the fun part; you can put a 400 crank in a 351W engine by machining the counterwieghts down, then you must have rod journals machined down from 2.31in. to 2.213in.,which will allow you to offset grind the journals and gain .045in. more stroke, so now you have instead of a 3.5 stroke a 4.045 stroke, bore the engine block .125(svo block) and get a 432 c.i. small block, or bore .06 and get 419c.i. You can also have the crank welded up to produce more stroke when offset grinding. From what I have seen about .125 is most you can do, and that requires a GM connecting rod.(441c.i.!!)Torque number would be very good at around 425 lb.ft., hp should(could) get up into 500 range on pump gasoline.
The cost would be around $2k for a smooth quiet streetable, dependable engine
I ran a stock bore w/400 crank 351w for a couple years on the street, and doing autocrossing, very smooth and scary.

B

·
0 Posts
351C heads will go on a Windsor as said above. There is a coolant passage that needs to be drilled open on the intake face .8" and one that must be blocked on the combustion face. Could be a less expensive way to get more out of the 302 351W blocks. I never priced em' as I went aftermarket.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Yak said:
rmyers2051--

I stand corrected, thanks for the information.
My friend, you are welcome.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I learned a lot. I'm not sure I understand it all, but whatever, I'm a dumb noob. Can anyone tell me the easiest and cheapest modification to a 351w? :santa :toothless

·
Registered
63 Posts
broncoMJV said:
Thanks guys, I learned a lot. I'm not sure I understand it all, but whatever, I'm a dumb noob. Can anyone tell me the easiest and cheapest modification to a 351w? :santa :toothless
What do you want it to do? Be a high rpm screamer pulling gobs of horsepower or a daily street driven engine that you want to last forever? Is fuel mileage a major concern, are you going to tow with it? :chili:

·
Registered
196 Posts
me the easiest and cheapest modification to a 351w
turbo.

if you want to build a naturally aspirated powerful motor you have to completely go through the shortblock.

10:1 compression
good heads/intake

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rmyers2051 said:
What do you want it to do? Be a high rpm screamer pulling gobs of horsepower or a daily street driven engine that you want to last forever? Is fuel mileage a major concern, are you going to tow with it? :chili:

All of the above. :rockon :rebelflag

·
Registered
63 Posts
What do you have now? A winsdor engine or a C motor? What do we have to work with here, how much money you willing to spend? $peed co$t money, how fa$t do you wi$h to go?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rmyers2051 said:
What do you have now? A winsdor engine or a C motor? What do we have to work with here, how much money you willing to spend? $peed co$t money, how fa$t do you wi$h to go?
I have a windsor and not a lot of money, thats why I said cheapest. I'm not interested in going fast just want some more horsed for pullin and muddin.
:rebelflag

·
Registered
196 Posts
no C parts can go on a W for small amount of $

·
Registered
63 Posts
DeepSeaSnake said:
can you really get a 302 to make 400 horse?
With fuel injection an pump gasoline.It won't be the most reliable engine you ever had but it is easy with todays parts.In the mid70's I had one doing 397 with carbs and pump gas,i drove it on the street and dragged on the weekends.Don't expect to get that hp with an engine that you aren't cranking to 7500rpm in every gear, with those rpm it aint gonna last long.
Jack Roush was building 302's in the 70's that would crank 500hp and over 400lb ft of torque, with a single carb.Usually were good for a couple thousand miles, tops.
As far as putting "C" heads on a windsor engine it is very cheap mod, problem is finding a manifold today, not sure any one is producing them now. Heads alone are worth about 40hp bolton. I think Edelbrock was the only supplier, called it a "Street Boss"
A 428 or a 460 would be a much better swap, a little heavier but much more potential. A 69/73 460 does over 425lb ft of torque at 3800 rpms---stock!! With a baby smooth idle. With an older engine and newer fuel injection from a f250 is would be a slicker swap, and probably run longer thaan the rest of your truck would hold up. I've seen460 with over 300k miles on them. They slobbered and smoked a bit but would still pull truck/trailer with backhoes and such easily.

·
Registered
196 Posts
ok so B&A streetboss and trackboss manifolds have been attributed to Moroso and edelbrock in this thread
the manifolds go for over $400 on ebay not exactly cheap

·
Registered
63 Posts
m j said:
ok so B&A streetboss and trackboss manifolds have been attributed to Moroso and edelbrock in this thread
the manifolds go for over $400 on ebay not exactly cheap
I've been out og the gasoline engine arena for a few years, so howmuch is a GOOD dual plane manifold going for today? For say a 351 Cleveland?
Best bet is to go to the guys who are doing this thing today on a regular basis, visit their
Web Site , they have all the parts available for sale. Be forewarned though this is not an engine for those of weak financial constitutions. The 397hp I refered to above cost 3500 to build in 1976.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts