Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 351W bolt into my truck or do i need to get adapter mounts? antoher question is even if it will bolt up to my c6? i want EFI in my bronc... just tryin to get a little info... thanks :toothless

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
the first thing that would help is to know what kind of truck. if your posting in this forum you probably have a 78/79 bronco with a 351M and the 351W will not bolt up.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
His profile information shows he has a 79 with a 351M - in which case, fordman is right.... the W won't bolt up, nor would I even bother trying to make it fit. That would mean at least a small block tranny and new motor mounts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok thanks guys... thats all i needed to know... and sorry bout the lack of info

·
Registered
15 Posts
ive got a 83 with a 351 windsor and a 4 sp and a 79 with a 351 m and a four sp. would it be worth it two swap engine and tranny into the 79?

·
Registered
87 Posts
bensbronc said:
ive got a 83 with a 351 windsor and a 4 sp and a 79 with a 351 m and a four sp. would it be worth it two swap engine and tranny into the 79?
personally I'd say no...but it's not my truck or $$. You should look at either building the M into a 400 or going the 429/460 route.

·
Registered
469 Posts
bensbronc said:
If you read the posts in the message, I think you will find that the answer is already there. Its wont be easy and it wont really be worth it. DO a 460 and forget about it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
money is an issue. i have the windsor and tranny, what would i need beyond new motor mounts? would the engine fit in the engine bay without much modification?(headers, alternator, etc.)

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
there are no motor mounts you can buy to make the engine bolt in. you would have to modify the engine towers i am sure, and run either stock manifolds, shortie block huggers or custom headers. its smaller than either the m or 460, so it will fit, but to mount it in there will require fabrication.

·
Registered
6 Posts
my 78 351w

I have a 351 w in my 78. I bought the truck with a 302 in it and swaped it with my 351w. This is what I could tell you about mine. You have all the parts needed to do the swap but the biggest problem is the stock motor mounts push the whole drive line back 2" ( I can't find aftermarket). I needed to extend the rod for the fork at the tranny (mine is a standard). The rad hoses were also different but universals fixed that. I'm not sure about the drive shafts.It looks like the problem was fixed by lifting the truck 2 1/2". That would fix the back but the front would now be too short, maybe switching the front and back drivesharfts might work.
The guys are right about going to a 460 or 429 being easier but i'm a fan of the 351w. I figure if my truck is built for mud, less weight in the front is better. YA, YA I know what you guys are thinking, a 351w does not have the power of a 460. If you look up the horsepower ratings for a 80's 460 and a 69-71 windsor you may be very suprised.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
but does he have a 69-71 windsor? nope. first off when i bought my truck it had a 351W in it and it was a dog. no power. period. second, when i put my 460 in, i used the same motor mounts. what i think was the difference was the tranny to transfer case adaptor. cause i did have to put a different C6 & adaptor in when the 460 went in. i am not going out to measure now, but i will in the morning. i have the C6 from that 351W sitting outside so i can tell you whats up. but my 460 is sitting on the same mounts as the 351W was. would i trade the 460 for a W? nope. the weight difference isnt that much between the 460 and 351 as far as whats been posted so think about that.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
thanks. i only know because that happened to be the process for my truck. it was a lot of dumb luck. but i think that 2" would be the difference between the two transfer case adaptors. i think the weight difference was 135 pounds, but that was 351M & 460. the W may be a little lighter. i just got my bumper back on my truck. dont know why since i will have to take it all off again to finish a few things. but that 351W was on the same perches as the 460 is on now. all i changed was tranny, adaptor and motor. and that 460 has to go 2" forward because of the mounts that i used called for that.

·
Registered
116 Posts
So since the subject has been brought up, what exactly are the differences between a windsor and a modified? I know that the W is a bit lighter than the M, and I presume that the W has a different seal/gasket arrangment resulting in a higher redline, while the M has a heavier camshaft assembly resulting in better low-end torque. Am I incorrect? What other differences are there between the two?

·
Registered
6 Posts
From Ford Engine Parts Interchange: "The 400m was little more than a 351c with a raised deck height....ford took the 400m and destroked the big cube small block to achive the 351m." The 351w and 351m are two completely different engines. Nothing that I know of is interchangeble except maybe the crank(with some machining). It's a cheap way to stroke a 351w. I can't remember the final displacement. BOY, a long answer to a short question!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Axaviere, what application were your motor mounts for. Anything to push my drive line forward would be great. I need to change my drive shaft (new 4" lift) so before I do that I would like to fix the drive line.

·
Registered
116 Posts
danielbrown said:
Ford didn't make a 400M only the 400, ford never put the M with the 400 because they only had one 400 ci motor and didn't need the letter.
ford made four motors in 351ci so they needed the letters with them.
352 FE
351C
351M
351W

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/index.html
That website kicks ass!! :rockon I'd been wondering if anybody had a sight that talked about M block parts and performance, now if only I could find a CARB M block site :shrug Oh well, thanks for this site though.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts