Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
the 351W is a small block too. Biggest differences are, the M has a wider intake, and uses the big block bellhousing bolt pattern. If you have a 351M, find yourself a 400 crank and rods, and you've now got a 400, with alot of good torque. A few performance parts, and you've got a small block with even more torque

·
Full to Empty 6.5 Seconds
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much HP and torque does a 351M have and how much HP and torque does a 351W have?

Ive been thinkin about gettin some 4.10 or 4.11:1 gears for my 78 with the M in it next year. and I will take that turning a 351M into a 400 when this engine calls it quits. But one question though. How much different will the gas milage be? We're gettin about 9-10.5 mpg on the road now and maybe 10-12 on the highway.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
Mileage will be about the same with either engine, but the M will have a bit less power, but not much. Don't forget tho, the W uses a small block tranny, so if you do go with that, you'll have to swap the tranny also. IMO, it's much more worth it to build it to a 400, or swap in a 460, than it is to swap the engine and trans to a W engine. Even with a 460, fuel mileage will still be about the same

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn, you mean the smaller 351W has more power than the bigger 351M?:(

That sucks, first I find out that the M is a small block and now that a smaller blocked engine has more power than the M:banghead

I want more power damnit!!! Im puttin a 460 in that beeeeeeeeoooooootch eventually. I like the number 400 better though.:)

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
the M is a small block but takes the big block tranny.
dont quote me on this but the fuelie 351w was like 225 hp 325 tq?

·
Registered
787 Posts
The 351M is a small block???

news to me.

:brownbag

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Yeah it's a small block, and neither the 351M or 400M made respectable power numbers for my taste. Now the 351C, well that a horse of a different color all together. I'd go with the 351W if I were you. Just my .02.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
My mistake, I thought you had the 351W and wanted to switch to a 351M. Definantely go the big block route if you can afford it.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
It's not all that unfortunate. Granted, it's a small block wiht the fuel consumptoin of a big block, but the 351M/400 can still be stroked, performance parts installed on them, and be able to make as much power as nearly any other engine. But then the question becomes, do you want to put work into the 400, or build on a 460? Ultimately, how powerful you want the engine will depend on how deep your pockets are

·
2,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wish I had a dino to run it on so I could see its stats.
If it had 250-325 HP for example, Id want to get 325-360 Hp out of it.

If it had 250-300 ft lbs I would want to get as much more out of it as I can. But right now since I have no job, it will be a few years before I can get the $$ up to do what I plan on.

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I have desktop dyno. I could run some numbers for you, to give you a basic idea on HP/torque. Some vitals I'd need, would be the cam specs, carb size, intake type(single, dual plane), head type(canted, or wedge, stock, or ported, stock valves, or oversize valves), stock bore and stroke or not, headers yes/no

·
Registered
349 Posts
as other have said the 351m has few aftermarket part, and i have heard they are not the best engines any way. get a 351w get a stroder kit for it so you will have like 408 ci or a 427ci, you will have more hp then a 351m and it will weigh less then a 460- mike

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
The M/400 has the same amount of performace parts as any other engine - carb, intake, cam, headers, pistons, crank, rods, bearings - same as any other engine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts