Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... today on the way to work I slap on the heater and I watched my aftermarket temp gague spike up to 250.... ohh shit... i turned off the heater and I watched the temp go back to normal... hmm odd.

I stopped at a market and popped the hood to find this... a nice crack above the Head bolt... leaking coolant like she was crying :(

and here is a vid *Warning turn down your audio, the vid is loud*

http://www.uncensoredhumor.com/view_video.php?viewkey=5ef5d8670710fa29087c

My question is... Anyone know of a good shop in Sonoma County. Also would you know of a good place to get CHEAP..NEW cast iron heads.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Why would you want new E5SE heads? :shrug

It's a TON cheaper and rebuilds are much more common with E7TE heads. Not only that, the E7 design is far superior to the E5. Just trying to save you some money and time looking. :thumbup I don't know of any places out there, but if you find any motor rebuilding machine shop, they would be more than likely able to help you. I wouldn't pay more than $150/head though.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Whoa that went over my head *literally*.

So the E5SE heads came stock on the 85 351w ?

Where does the E7TE come from ? Will it mount right up with out having to change pistons or anything ?

not sure about the E5SE head ,but the E7TE head is from a 87-95 windsor, not sure about how they flow, not sure i trust the specs in the book i have.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You probably have E5s or worse. They weren't a real solid design until the E7 came along in 1987, IMHO. They did some funky things with an "eyebrow" over the intake valve in '86, and the combustion chambers were pretty big and not conducive to making power from about 1978-1986.

You shouldn't need to change anything else at all; I'm assuming you have the standard air injection tubing going to the rear of the cylinder heads (if not, NBD just block the ports off or get later revisions without any injection ports). I'm also assuming your pistons are NOT flat tops, having relief(s) in a rounded-rectangular shape in the middle.

E7TE heads started on Ford trucks in 1987, and slowly trickled down into almost every 5.0L/5.8L made. Trucks and Mustangs were probably the most common vehicles equipped with them. The Lincolns were one exception.

If you find you need E7TE heads without air injection, ask for a set for a 1996 F-series without air injection.
Click here for a page on GT40P heads. Scroll down to the flow comparison chart for E7TE flow numbers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the info.. gave a local engine machine shop a call and i talked tot he owner.
He said roughly $1200 a head... or $500 a head if I pull and install them myself.

I've installed heads before but that was way back in high school. I remember all the procedures.. but the fear of a snapped bolt.. or a broken whatever.
Plus I want it dont right the first time.

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
is that with new heads or fixing the cracked one?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You can get a brand new set of ALUMINUM heads for that price!!!

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts