Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, this shit sucks a**. I put a new (reman'd) engine into my cetnruion (streched bronco) and it is chewing up serpintine belts about every 500 miles. I checked the accessory alignment sevearal times, and even took everything apart today to get something to maybe line up better. I am checking the alighnment of the pulleys with a straight edge, nothing is grossly out of alignment (bout .030 at its worst) A new tensioner was installed before the new engine was started. THe belt is jumping on the crank and wearing off one rib at a time. The accesories do not have much room for adjustment at all, they are mounted with cast aluminum brackets, so no help there. any ideas?? Im tired of needing a $30 belt every month!!! As far as excessive thrust bearing wear, I HOPE that the shop that Ford subs out its engine remanufacuting to, would have some sort of QC checks to prevent this. I dunno, I am going to go but some shims for the crank and see if I can piss it off that way. That is the only thing that is not the same from the old setup. Any ideas on how to fix it??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Check and make sure all the pulleys have the same number of ribs. Spin all of the pulleys with the belt off and make sure they all turn free. Doulble check that you have the correct lenth belt. With the belt installed there should be a couple lines or an arrow and a line on the tensioner that should line up(most cars have this).

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is an aftermarket tensioner made by dayco. I havent seen any range marks on this unit. (I looked at it again, and I think maybe the PS pump is causing my grief :(

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Tunedup said:
With the belt installed there should be a couple lines or an arrow and a line on the tensioner that should line up(most cars have this).
I am having a similar problem but pretty much everything is stock. My belts are squeeling like crazy when I hit the pedal or try to turn. Do you have any pics of this mark/arrow you talk about? I can't see one on mine. Maybe I am not looking in the right place. Where exactly on the tensioner is the line and what is it suposed to line up with?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Im not sure if broncos have the marks its been a wile since i worked on a bronco with a serp belt but, atleast 80% of cars with serp belts do. Look on the part of the tensioner that moves/rotates for marks on it either will be a line cast into it or a triangle. Then look for a mark on the part that bolts to the bracket that doesnt rotate.

Ill see if i can find a pic.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My old tensioner had this mark on it, along with a mark that said range on it. its very odvious. Oftermarket ones might not have this mark. Mine doesn't :banghead

·
Registered
98 Posts

heres a pic of a tensioner what you cant see is the arrow pointing to the line. The arrow should point between the lines that are closest togeather.

if your tensioner doesnt have these marks I would pull the tensioner all the way to the stop and see how much slack you have on your belt if theres more then an inch or two I would get a shorter belt. that would take care of your squeeling.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Originally posted by Tunedup
if your tensioner doesnt have these marks I would pull the tensioner all the way to the stop and see how much slack you have on your belt if theres more then an inch or two I would get a shorter belt. that would take care of your squeeling.
That's what I was thinking. As it is the tensioner is almost fully "unsprung." If I were to crank it down I would have way more than an inch slack. I tell ya it really sucks not having an automotive store around here.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I think I have it figured out. When I got the new engine, there was a stud not installed on the water pump, just a normal bolt. I took the stud out of the old engine and transfered it to the new one. The stud had a washer beneath it, I assume to act as a shim, which on this motor and water pump wasnt nescessary, and created a problem. Its amazing how a .03 cent washer causes so many headaches. It looks like the belt is going to stay a happy camper now :D

·
Registered
69 Bronco crawler, 85 Bronco dormant baja build, 93 Bronco cruiser, 05 F150 supercharged 5.4 tow rig
359 Posts
is that an MDF lumber AC bracket?!? crazy stuff. the crappy autozone reman pump i used to have would let the pulley walk in and out quite a bit, causing belt problems. the Sag cured that though :thumbup

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah its a wooden ac bracket, i dont know the story behind it i just found the picture on google. Im guessing it was made as a mock up for an ac brack that will be fabed out of metal.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts