Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Situation:
I have a 351w lower block from a NON roller 89 Bronco and the cam, heads and lifters (complete upper) from a roller 95 Bronco. The 89 engine was rebuilt 20k ago and now has a head gasket leak and I was wondering if I could throw the cam and upper components from my original 95 351w onto it? Or is it worth it to have a roller engine back in the Bronco?

PS-going into my 95.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well a non roller block will not work with a roller cam from the 95. You would have to get a roller conversion cam kit for the 89 block. That is a smaller ground cam with the proper roller lifters.

The heads and everything else will bolt on to the 89 block but I don't know if the upper/lower intake are the same. I also think that the heads are both E7 heads. If you were going to do some minor bowl and port work then resurface the heads from the 95 then great. I think you will also have to replace the distributer gear on your 95 to the 89 to work with the cam gear of the 89.

I just did the opposite conversion in my 88 Thunderbird. I pulled the stock tired 5.0L engine and put in a 351w from a 96 F-250. I did alot of research on the engine and the problems I would incounter and the differences of years between a pre 94 5.8L and a post 94 5.8L. The F4TE block seem to be a little stronger (higher nickel content) and also had the proper lifter bosses for the running of a roller cams.

If I was you I would stay with the roller engine for your truck. Less work and less headaches.

Good luck.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At first I didn't think I could use the 95 block, but after further inspection I think it's good. Pretty sure I'm going to rebuild the entire roller engine getting heads and intake worked and bore it 30 over.

Thanks for the responses...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts