Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am desperate for any ideas on possible easy solutions for massive power loss on a 1986. I had a bad header leak, so I replaced the gaskets on both sides, I tried the timing next, nothing, so now I really havent a clue why it is this way as before I left it used to scream down the road. The poor truck sat in open storage on base while in Iraq. I checked the electrical system, and everything is well. The truck has a 650 holley carb, that the origional owner placed on it, and it starts up, and revs great. What happens is as soon as it is placed in drive, it bogs out, although it still runs, even when floored, it still bogs, and is just a total dog. Where to start now?

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,783 Posts
When were the plugs and wires and crap replaced last?

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
seafoam the bitch!!!! run some into your brake vacume line, better yet down all vacume lines, down the carb, put some in your tank. Follow the directions on the bottle. Could also be bad gas, change your fuel filter. It's most likely something really easy.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
I agree with what has been said, do a full tune up after it has sat. There is a possibility that the fuel filter has become plugged after some flakes of rust developed in your tank over that period and got sucked up the fuel line. Double check your timing too, it is free after all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did the plugs and wires, nothing. I was searching for the fuel filter, and there isnt one! I changed the oil too. Another shipmate of mine ran it out of gas for me while i was away, and a hummer dragged it to the lot for me so it cannot be the gas. The carb was replaced before i bought the truck, so that is scary. The question is, can the four barrel carb, rev ok, and start up the truck ok, but under load, just dog out? Gonna try the seafoam today, sounds pretty cool anyways!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About three weeks ago. When I pulled the plugs on cyclinders 5, 6, 7, and 8 the were covered in unburned gas and oil. So i did a full tune up, including oil too. It started shaking in the beginning, so that promted me to tune up the whole truck. After examining the fuel system for a filter, there wasn't one at all. Scary. Could a carb that starts up fine, revs good, but when in any gear, start bogging?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,895 Posts
perhaps the cat is plugged up.

·
Call an amberlamps!
1,349 Posts
No Fuel filters? maby cloged injectors on the carb... Sea Foam should help. Im not a genius but you may want to add an inline fuel filter to stop the rust flakes and sluge from gettin in...

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
there should be a fuel filter there, never ran accross a rig tat didn't. Look on the inside of the driver's side frame rail, that's where mine is at, or better yet go out and buy a hayne's AND chilton's book and read up on it. I'm betting that with your ship mate runnin her bone dry sediments clogged up your fuel filter and that it why it runs fine untill you put a load on it. It's not because of your carb setting, it's not because it needs a tune up 9it may be a part but not the big reason) the problem is it's being starved of fuel.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
perhaps the cat is plugged up.
Thats a good idea also. It will run fine on idle but when there is load put on the motor it won't have power.

However, since you mention that the carb was changed I wonder if the previous owner didn't hook the vacuum lines back up. That will affect your vacuum advance (if you have it, you '86 probably has EEC-IV though?) and also the secondaries won't be opening up on that carb as far as I know. It will idle great and rev without load fine on just primaries but of course won't have the power without secondaries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One more thing, i was tinkering with the carb today, and there is a slight popping noise coming out of the carb? Does that mean anything? Also, I had the exhaust redone a couple of years ago, and had the cat torched off. Thanks for all the comments!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Get with your base auto hobby shop for assistance. Usually these folks are great for giving recommendations.

I'd suggest finding and then changing the fuel filter. If this does not cure the problem, get a vacuum gauge and get readings. Haynes used to have a tutorial on how to read a vacuum gauge.

·
Registered
778 Posts
well, if you don't have a filter, and the tank was run dry, you might have picked up a bit of dirt. This is sounding like a main jet issue. you need to install a filter first to reduce the chance of this happening again.

Then you need to pull the primary and secondary float bowls and with a bit of spray carb cleaner, clean out the float bowls and metering blocks. install new gaskets and fire it up.

This shouldn't take more that 2 hours and less than $40 in parts and consumables.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,895 Posts
you might have a blown power valve on that carb as well. Holleys are known for this.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts