Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 1966 mustang that im working on for some one and its got some serious problems and i need some suggestions on the possible causes, it has a freshly rebuilt block/new cam/pistons etc.. with a 351w from a 72 LTD. Heres the questions

1. the car constantly overheats, the fan has been replaced with an electric fan but doesnt cover the entire radiator, it has a new radiator, new thermostat, and waterpump. what else could cause the overheating?

2. the car has a 650 edelbrock carb and runs pretty rough, it has new wires plugs, and dist.
what are some other possible causes?

·
Banned
443 Posts
hows the timing ....I would go back and check everything relating to the timing......but, what do I know....

the reason I say that.....I had a truck one time and the timing chain/belt was installed improperly [one chog off] and I could never get it to cool properly......until that was fixed...

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Did ya give up on the TA? :toothless

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,844 Posts
its possible the rad is to small, fan to small as well. does the fan run constantly or only kick once in awhile? both hoses hot or just one. timing or a real lean condition can cause overheating as well.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts
colinlesser said:
ok i have a 1966 mustang that im working on for some one and its got some serious problems and i need some suggestions on the possible causes, it has a freshly rebuilt block/new cam/pistons etc.. with a 351w from a 72 LTD. Heres the questions

1. the car constantly overheats, the fan has been replaced with an electric fan but doesnt cover the entire radiator, it has a new radiator, new thermostat, and waterpump. what else could cause the overheating?

2. the car has a 650 edelbrock carb and runs pretty rough, it has new wires plugs, and dist.
what are some other possible causes?
Are you absoulutely positive its a W and not a C? A lot of the 2 door LTDs had 351C in them in the early 70s. That could effect the plug wire order etc.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
If its a 66 Mustang, the biggest engine you could get with that was a K-code 289. So a 351 is going to make a lot more heat that radiator wasn't designed for.
But still I know lots of people running a 351 behind a factory radiator without a problem. First thing you should do is get the engine running smooth. With my old truck it runs hot when the spark plugs get old. Try giving it a tune up and setting the timing and see how it works. If theres still a problem you might want to put teh mechanical fan back on as that will move a lot more air than the electric fan. If theres still a problem, you can get custom radiators that will bolt in place of the original that will cool a lot more horsepower.

·
0 to hero in 94563.1 sec
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, no i didnt give up on thte TA-its almost finished

I'm working on the mustang for a guy that works at a advance auto parts store, an im being real nice and only charging $10 per hour, ive got about 16hrs into it and have solved a few problems already, the reason it was over heating was the electric fan he had was blowing air out the hood instead of bringing it in, he had the polaritys reversed, BUT just to be save im replacing the 1 big electric fan with 2 10" smaller fans. Hopefully he didnt crake the heads or blow a gasket, as for the rough idle it appears to be the carb crapping out, it make some ungodly loud bnoise as it runs almost like accelerating in a car with open headers. so that will be replaced as well,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts