Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just read the "ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW" thread about gearing.

so 35's on stock gears makes the engine work about 22% harder, so you lose 22% in accelleration. if you regear, you get accelleration back but lose top end.

my question: if you do ("rice-mods") like intake, header, exhaust -- things that typically give marginally better throttle response, can you get the accelleration back and keep the stock-gear top end?

i'm sure IHE wouldn't get it all back but - if you could get 10-15% of the accelleration back for a few hundred bucks and minimal effort, i think i could live with that
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
741 Posts
guidogabriele said:
i just read the "ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW" thread about gearing.

so 35's on stock gears makes the engine work about 22% harder, so you lose 22% in accelleration. if you regear, you get accelleration back but lose top end.

my question: if you do ("rice-mods") like intake, header, exhaust -- things that typically give marginally better throttle response, can you get the accelleration back and keep the stock-gear top end?

i'm sure IHE wouldn't get it all back but - if you could get 10-15% of the accelleration back for a few hundred bucks and minimal effort, i think i could live with that
instead of wasting your money on "ricer mods" I would just spend the money to re-gear, if you cant afford for both axels to be regeared at once, get the rear regeared first and saveup for the front. Just remeber you CANNOT use 4 wheel drive with just the rear regeared. The cost of getting them regeared varies, expect to pay $900 to $1100. My advise would be making freinds with a mechanic and give him business, I can have 4.11's installed for $200 :chili:
 

·
Former owner of Shadofax
Joined
·
17,025 Posts
guidogabriele said:
i just read the "ALL YOU WANT TO KNOW" thread about gearing.

so 35's on stock gears makes the engine work about 22% harder, so you lose 22% in accelleration. if you regear, you get accelleration back but lose top end.

my question: if you do ("rice-mods") like intake, header, exhaust -- things that typically give marginally better throttle response, can you get the accelleration back and keep the stock-gear top end?

i'm sure IHE wouldn't get it all back but - if you could get 10-15% of the accelleration back for a few hundred bucks and minimal effort, i think i could live with that
I agree as well, you need to regear. Besides, stop riding the fence, this isn't a rice burner...why would you even be thinking of going faster than say 80-85 in a lifted brick with 35's? Now, if you regear properly, and add the ricey BS, you could race some ricey's legally at your local 1/4 mile track. That's always fun.
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
you won't be happy with 3.55s and 35s. mine sucked. slow as shit. you'll want at least 4.10s. with 4.10s, i can lay some rubber with my 35s, and i am locked too.

if you shop around, you can regear super cheap. when i am done i will have spent around $600 and i have a new rearend with a detroit :p
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ya Sven! und if you regear right you won't be loosin yer top end! Don't go above 4.56!
 

·
Welcome to the jungle
Joined
·
678 Posts
thejuice said:
why would you even be thinking of going faster than say 80-85 in a lifted brick with 35's?
Bragging rights? I dunno, I'm trying to break down the image of a fourwheeler being a slow, lumbering, behemoth.

My Bronco came with 4.11 gears stock, so I haven't changed them. They work well with my 35s. Dang Andy, I can't lay rubber. I can chirp around a corner, but I can't burn out.
 

·
Stuck like a MoFo
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
i have 35's with my stock 3.55's in my truck, it isn't bad, but it is great at all.....i have the np435 so i don't use 1st, i jump in second and third and the truck accels great...fourth gear is another story....it goes just not in a hurry...but it isn't bad..plusi was doing 60mph at 2500rpm...so i wasn't goin to do a gear swap just yet..i dropped down to about 1900 at 60 now.....but i can only do about 65 or 70 mph up hill which doesn't bother me any....i am trying to save money (gas) since i am in college
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
Lonestar_Bronco said:
My Bronco came with 4.11 gears stock, so I haven't changed them. They work well with my 35s. Dang Andy, I can't lay rubber. I can chirp around a corner, but I can't burn out.
you wish you were as cool as me :goodfinge

actually, i only tried it in reverse. :brownbag
 

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
Joined
·
15,252 Posts
Andy, you have the 4.10's and the 35's??? That's the setup I'm now considering, instead of the 4.56's...I don't think I want to go any bigger as far as tires go than the 35's, and I think the 4.56'w would be way too deep. So you're pretty happy with that set up??
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,114 Posts
Blown said:
Ya Sven! und if you regear right you won't be loosin yer top end! Don't go above 4.56!
hes right about that... the bigger tires will give you more top end( MPH)... if your engine can push that brick.
 

·
Welcome to the jungle
Joined
·
678 Posts
jermil01 said:
Andy, you have the 4.10's and the 35's??? That's the setup I'm now considering, instead of the 4.56's...I don't think I want to go any bigger as far as tires go than the 35's, and I think the 4.56'w would be way too deep. So you're pretty happy with that set up??
I'm not Andy, but I'm happy with it. I don't have an overdrive either. I turn 2800 rpm just above 65mph. With overdrive, it should be just below 2000.
 

·
negative creep
Joined
·
8,651 Posts
jermil01 said:
Andy, you have the 4.10's and the 35's??? That's the setup I'm now considering, instead of the 4.56's...I don't think I want to go any bigger as far as tires go than the 35's, and I think the 4.56'w would be way too deep. So you're pretty happy with that set up??
so far i am loving it. its about the same as 31s and stock gears. if i had OD, i probably would have gone to 4.56 at least, but thats just my personal preference. plug ugly was running the same combo (well its all his old stuff :toothless ) and he seemed to like it ok. we are both more of the slow crawler kind of wheeler so i know he and i both like the extra control that lower gears offer. but since i have no OD, i won't go any lower than 4.10. right now i am turning around 2700-2800 at 65 in 1:1 gear, any lower and i would be taching out at like 75. there was a thread on WT about this and plug thought that 4.10s and 35s was not enough gearing and newbronc thought that 4.88 and 35s was a little too much on the street. the general consensus was that 4.56 would be the best overall choice for a dual purpose rig. on paper, 35s and 4.10s are about the same as stock with 31s, but that doesn't account for the extra weight of the 35s, the drag of being lifted, and the driveline loss that you'll get from the increased friction of bigger, wider, softer tires. the 4.56 gears will have a definite advantage, giving your engine a little more leverage to combat these factors.

honestly, i haven't gotten the front gears yet, so i don't know how well it does crawling, but from the little stuff i have done in 2HI locked it has been working great. but to answer your question, yes i am happy with it. it is a HUGE difference from stock gears with 35s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heh, i dont want to go fast. when i was 20 i got 2 speeding tickets for going 76 & 81....never again. truck never goes above 70 now.

the reason for the "rice mods" suggestion wasn't for me to go fast...i should have been clearer.

i'm more concerned with drivability getting the truck to do pavement driving. 30-->60 merging onto the highway, 0-30 in town, stuff like that....and i wanted to be able to do it without putting my foot in the carb.

just concerned with keeping normal accelleration....so long as i can get to 75 without too much trouble, i'll be happy.

i'm sure you can tell from these questions that i dont know squat about gearing....i'm just trying to reason out the loss in acceleration vs. the top end
 

·
Welcome to the jungle
Joined
·
678 Posts
guidogabriele said:
i'm more concerned with drivability getting the truck to do pavement driving. 30-->60 merging onto the highway, 0-30 in town, stuff like that....and i wanted to be able to do it without putting my foot in the carb.

just concerned with keeping normal accelleration....so long as i can get to 75 without too much trouble, i'll be happy.
In that case, 4.10 gears if you don't have OD, 4.56 if you do. These setups should give you fine street performance. 35s and stock gears will render your Bronco very sluggish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Your sig line says you have a 96, you have got an E4OD trans I assume. I would go 5.13 with the overdrive trans, especially if you are not a speed demon. The thing will have great acceleration and be a monster off road. Maybe burn a little more gas on the highway but hell if you wanted fuel economy you would drive a honda.
 

·
Unregistered User
Joined
·
697 Posts
<-- 33s and geared at the stock 3.55. Based on the comments of others, my setup should be sluggish, but Horsesh!t has quite a bit of get up and go...more so than other Broncos and some cars. Must be the new engine. Anywho, going uphill in OD will cause the truck to slow, but here in Florida there arent that many hills anyways. Towing is no biggie either, I'm just light on the throttle with anything more than 2k on the ass end.

I say you can have it both ways, depending on what you wanna do with it...which is usually not the same thing you did with it yesterday. :shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well my current tires circumference is 32.x''...and yes my truck is a 96 and has overdrive.

i would rather it burn less gas on the highway than be a monster off road, since it's a daily driver.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top