Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here attempted to put a Ford 360 out of a 1976 Ford F-250, in a Bronco. I have a 351M in my Bronco with a manual tranny and the engine is going bad. My dad has 1976 Ford truck that had a manual tranny and had a 360 in it. Should I even consider this option?

·
Registered
13,893 Posts
I can't help at all, but I'd definitely be interested in your opinions on the swap, after you're done

I would imagine there's as much effort in dropping an FE engine into a Bronco, as it would take to drop in a 429/460: motor mounts, trans/Tcase mount, driveline issues, you'd want the bigger FE's radiator, and work out your own exhaust

Good luck!

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
as long as your going 360, look for a 390 for down the line. the more cubes the better. AXE

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
axaviere said:
as long as your going 360, look for a 390 for down the line. the mode cudes the better. AXE

The 360 is virtually identical to the 390, they share the same bore/block the only difference being the crank. The 360 has a 3.50" stroke and the 390 has 3.78". Hell if ya want bore it out to 4.13", add a 390 crank and get the 406. w00t.

I was gonna post a link to PJB as I know this is discussed over there, but I see Jonne has been there already. I asked this question about the FE as well because I have a 352FE. I think in the long run, you'll get more power and it'll be cheaper to look into the 460 swap. There are far more things to swap with the FE, than putting in an engine from the 385 series.

·
Registered
308 Posts
what does FE mean, i've never really been into these engines, just the windsors' since i live there.
please be gentile....:brownbag

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,167 Posts
Good ??? Wally, I've always wanted to know what FE meant also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
what ever you do, do not put the 360 in your bronco. the 360 has the crappiest compression ratios i have ever seen and have known this through the tales of my boss. a guy that knows just about everything about cars. do not put the 360 in. the 390 is a good motor.

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
wally said:
what does FE mean

I've always heard it stands for Ford-Edsel, which makes perfect sense to me, because the MEL (not shittin' you, I have an engine series with the same name, w00t!) series stands for Mercury-Edsel-Lincoln. BUT some books or people will tell you FE stands for "Ford Engine." Now that makes alot of sense.

-Mel- who wants a Merc pickup with a MEL series big block one day...

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
Oscar said:

"FE (which means "Ford Engine," not Ford-Edsel nor Ford Engineering) variety comes from a broad selection of bore and stroke sizes to achieve cubic-inch displacements."

Oh c'mon! :(

That just doesn't make sense to me. The MEL series is very similiar to the FE series....grrr. This is gonna bug me now.

·
Registered
308 Posts
thanks, i got my reading cut out for me....

i read a litle bit and is the 352 the same as a 351? either the W or C/M version? or is it more of a big block?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Helmantel
SUBSCRIBER!

Posted: 11/13/03 4:34am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ford engine designations have always been vague if you ask me.
Flat head, Y block and MEL makes sense

FE: could make sense, but we'll never know

427: is actually a 425....

90 deg V family (221-302): All V8s are 90 deg V

385: named after the stroke of the 460 times 100, although the shorter stroke 429 was introduced first...

335 (Cleveland): doesn't have a 3.35" stroke...

351W: is actually a 352, but there was an 352 FE already, a year later, there was yet another one....

so is this saying that at one point, there were three 351 or 352 engines? if i double posted sorry i just went back to try and edit...:twak

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
11,917 Posts
The 351W is actually closer to 352 cubic inches, but they already had the 352FE. The FE series are considered big blocks, so a 352 is a big block and is a totally different animal than any of the 351s (W, C, M.)

Clear as mud? ;)

That thread even turned into a FE vs 460 debate, lol. :thumbup

T

·
0 Posts
The bottom end on the 360 is garbage, so like it was said earlier go with the 390 or more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts