Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting my new Skyjacker 6'' suspension lift w/ gas resivour shocks put on in the next few weeks and will also be needing new tires (old, worn down, 33's)

my question is how would 37'' tires do?

i wont be doing any hardcore offroading...just minor trails and some mud
so i dont think flexing into the body will be a worry

but what i was wondering is about the front axle and gears

would I be able to do this with a stock dana44 front axle (wishbone) and stock gears?

or would i need to get a solid axle and some new gears (probably 4:56's)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
spaustin889 said:
i wont be doing any hardcore offroading...just minor trails and some mud
so i dont think flexing into the body will be a worry

would I be able to do this with a stock dana44 front axle (wishbone) and stock gears?

The 37" tires will clear the body under flex...but the radius arm would rub like a S.O.B. And as far as the stock gears....My 33s make my truck accelerate slower then my 31s...unless you feel like putting your foot to the floor to get anywhere i wouldnt suggest that either.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
37x12.50s wont rub any worse than 33x12.50s with the same wheels. Your worries should be with the front axle. The TTB isnt going to last long with those bigger tires. Might wanna go ahead and plan a SAS

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
37s will rub A LOT more than 33s. you will need to do some mild fender trimming. i am running 40s with about 5.5" of lift so it can be done, just depends how much flex you want and how little room you can live with.

·
Banned
1,692 Posts
i originally thought i had the 9" too, but then i came to realize that it is the 8.8

and i like the 8.8 cuz it has the 1:31 shafts in it, but i do worry bout the c-clips that is why i'm curious as to what peoples opinions are about the 8.8

and i know i know upgrade to a d70 or 10.25/10.5 but that's not going to happen for me right now.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Kitty said:
not meaning to hijack his thread here, but i am curious, are you sticking with the 8.8 in the rear?

and if you are what are everyones thoughts on the 8.8 holding up to the 37's?
As long as it stays parked in your drive way you can run 44's on an 8.8. but if you plan on driving it and are heavy on the skinny pedal it wont last long. i went through two with 33's

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
The 37's will fit with a 6" lift up front. Someone I know is running 37" SSR's with a 15x8 wheel. He had to space the front bumper forward about 2". I also believe you may end up with some front (rear) fender rub, though his does not seem to. I'm running 37" Iroks but with a solid 44 front, and I spaced the axle forward just a tick over 1", and no rub.

It's going to suck running that size with stock axles, period. No where near proper gear range any longer.

the shafts will likely be ok with just mild wheeling, though breakage will always be a concern. balljoints and TTB alignment issues will likely pester you.

8.8 rear isn't a bad axle, and does have pretty big 31 spline/1.32" dia. shafts that neck up even thicker out toward the axle ends. That said, I would not run one or trust one with 37's. Shafts aren't its main problems. 1) Don't use the stock limited slip carrier. Seen many of these fail. 2) the tube walls are thin, which usually ends up with bending/breaking right at the joint between axle tube and differential. there are only 3 plug welds there and with the .188 wall tubing used, you really need to truss the 8.8 (I had done that), and weld the tube to the diff (did that too). I had no issues with mine with 35's. Which is the max size i would recommend with these axles.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
spaustin889 said:
i think its a 9'' rear (that may be the same thing)...but its a stock rear end

No, you've got an 8.8, your truck is a 96, and E4OD (I'm assuming) so you need the 8.8 because a 9" doesn't have the VSS.

Like a lot of the guys are saying, I wouldn't go with anything bigger then 35's on those axles.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
spaustin889 said:
..i was thinking about some 36'' intercos

and also what is the VSS on a 8.8

VSS is the signal off the rear diff that goes to the computer to tell your truck how fast you're going. It's need for the speedometer to work

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
If you dont' know what rear axle you have and what a VSS is...are you sure you need this sort of hardware? I hate to be an asshole.

3.55's suck balls with 33" tires, let alone 37". For 37" tires 4.56 would leave you slightly undergeared, and 4.88's would be just about right for 37-38" tires. I wouldn't try to run anything bigger then 33's on 3.55's unless you had a granny-low 4-speed manual transmission like a T18 or NP435 to get moving with.

Are you looking at the Skyjacker 6" Stage 1 (rad arm drop down brackets and blocked rear) or Stage 2 (extended radius arms, new rear springs, etc)? That will be a big thing too. Stock rad arms with now clearance bend, good luck turning even mildly without rubbing the piss out of your tires.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Saurian said:
If you dont' know what rear axle you have and what a VSS is...are you sure you need this sort of hardware? I hate to be an asshole.

3.55's suck balls with 33" tires, let alone 37". For 37" tires 4.56 would leave you slightly undergeared, and 4.88's would be just about right for 37-38" tires. I wouldn't try to run anything bigger then 33's on 3.55's unless you had a granny-low 4-speed manual transmission like a T18 or NP435 to get moving with.

Are you looking at the Skyjacker 6" Stage 1 (rad arm drop down brackets and blocked rear) or Stage 2 (extended radius arms, new rear springs, etc)? That will be a big thing too. Stock rad arms with now clearance bend, good luck turning even mildly without rubbing the piss out of your tires.
I'm with him... stick with the 35's. To get 37's under there you'll need a lot more than just the lift kit, otherwise it will break... alot.

Take it easy on the 8.8... even 35's can be brutal on it if you hammer it much...

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Saurian said:

As Todd just said, the VSS is your vehicle speed sensor, which is REQUIRED for him to move. His computer needs it. And yeah, the VSS isnt availible on a 9", so that leaves one other option, the 8.8, unless his PO did a sterling 10.25 swap, but that's highly unlikely.

A guy I know has 38x15.50 SSR's, and 3.55/E4OD, and his truck is SLOW as a pig. But he hasn't had any trouble with breakage yet, and does low-moderate wheeling... not at all that I'm suggesting that you go with anything bigger then 35's, but I'm saying I've seen it done.

·
ladies enjoy his
4,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its a skyjacker stage two i believe

im not sure about extended radius arms...

i know its all new coil springs and gas resiviour shocks new rear leaf srpings, no blocks

and sorry i dont know all the abbreviations to every technical term on here...if he would have said vehicle speed sensor i would have known what he meant

i was just trying to get an idea b4 i put my tires on...as for now im going with 35x12.50x15r in either the procomp xterrain or the kumho M/t

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Erp, to clear up my previous post, I misread what Saurian wrote...

I don't think you have to be an auto mechanic to go wheeling and have fun. Half the people I've seen out at the local sand pits couldn't tell you the difference between either of the axles on their trucks, or what kind of tires their trucks can handle... they just go out wheeling and have fun. For the most part, if their shit breaks because it wasn't built to handle what they're throwing at it, they just replace it and go on their merry way. Doesn't make them any more or less of a person, maybe not the brightest, but either way, they're just having fun.

At least spaustin now has a general idea of what he should, and should not do.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm still running 3.55's with my 38's... and still have the TTB front end. I'm not saying I recomend that by any means... I just don't mind fixing it when it breaks, and I don't have all my stuff together for the gear swap or SAS swap so I just wheel it like it is, sure beats the hell out of watching it sit in the front yard. Besides, what's the fun in changing out parts that aren't broken yet?

It does suck ass on the road with the 3.55's, I never use 4th gear anymore, and top end is about 70-75. When I was running 35" tires with the 3.55's the big 6 would bury the speedo. Offroad I hardly ever used 4-low unless I was climbing or pulling someone out, now that's all I use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts