Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i got a 93 with rebuilt 351.e40d. and transfer case with 60,000 miles on each...she runs strong and im currently runin 35s and bout to put some good size 37inch tires on...and wondering if any of yall run 37s with stock gears and the damn e40d?? just wondering how it drives...?

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
With stock gears, which are 3.55's or 3.73's at best its going to be a dog. And your gas mileage is going to go through the floor. It's going to put a lot of load on your engine and tranny. It's very likely it will reduce it's useable lifetime. A regear would be a very wise idea.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
disaster. said good buy to your trans or torque converter. and expect it to be as slow as a 3-cyl geo metro

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gears would be nice but i cant affor that... i mean ive seen lots of people run 37s or bigger with no gearing...haha yeah i know ill be slow lol.. but honestly has anyone drievn one or have somethin like that?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,580 Posts
gears would be nice but i cant affor that... i mean ive seen lots of people run 37s or bigger with no gearing...haha yeah i know ill be slow lol.. but honestly has anyone drievn one or have somethin like that?
It'd be a poor decision. I vote regear instead of bigger tires. You could regear it almost 2x over with the amount you'd spend on 37's. Then for the time being, pick up a cheap set of 35" A/T's and save up for a good set of tires. At the end of the day, you'd save your torque converter, you'd be much happier with the performance of your vehicle, and your gas mileage isn't gonna be <10mpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
DONT DO IT i have a 92 351 with e4od. Mine is a 4dr so shes a bit heavier but min is a dog with 37's every time i drive it i have to reamber to turn my od off and when i do at 60 its a 2000rpm. DONT DO IT unless you have the cash for gears. my speedo has never been adjusted but i get 150mi to a tank so not sure what that would be with the speedo on but yeah 150mi every fill up. again DONT DO IT its not worth it. i dont know if i have made myself clear yet but again i have the same set up and it blows DONT DO IT

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
You should truly re gear... I do know someone who ran thousands of miles on a 96 bronco with the e40d with 38's and stock gears.. I ran 40's on a 302/aod with 355's and was running the same 40's on a 351/C6 with 355's before I re geared.. However I was never concerned about gas mileage..

You drive a bronco.. you better not be concerned about mileage.. If you are you should sell it and get a civic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you can afford 35's, then decide that for the hell of it to get 37's, then I vote that you can afford gears, at least in the rear for mpg reasons. I'm assuming you don't need 4x4 if you want 37's under your 3.55's anyway so you don't have to regear the front

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
If you can afford 35's, then decide that for the hell of it to get 37's, then I vote that you can afford gears, at least in the rear for mpg reasons. I'm assuming you don't need 4x4 if you want 37's under your 3.55's anyway so you don't have to regear the front
:twak

He would have to re gear the front as well... If you try to use 4wd with mismatched gears you're transfercase isn't going to like it..

And I've wheeled on 40's with 3.55's for a long time.. 4-lo makes it all better.

I do agree if someone has the money for 37's they can afoard gears.. Hell, sell off the 35's and use that money for gears.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You drive a bronco.. you better not be concerned about mileage.. If you are you should sell it and get a civic
like he said gas mileage isnt really a ..and 4wheelin is outta the picture.. i got that outa the way when i first got the truck lol..but id just use 4low if i needed to in a situation... buying the gears is fine..its just finding a place that can do cheap cuz labor is what gets u alot. and spectre how was the power when driven on the road when u had the 40s and e40d??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts