• Keep your 33's w/the 4.88's and no overdrive

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on these two different sizes. If I get the 38.5s I'll have to do some more trimming and probably get the Gorilla warflares. I think the 37s would fit cozy with the 2"bl and 5.5" lift. But I sure like the idea of 38s. I'm hoping the d44 with warn axles and ctms will hold up to either of the two. The rear 9" will have 31 spline axles---I know I'm pushing my luck with both tire sizes. The motor is a 302, trans is a c-4 and the gears are 4.88. BTW, this is for my 74 bronco. I will be driving it on the street some but mostly it will ride on the trailer if going over 30-40 miles. I'll probably be purchasing these sometime in late January or early February.

Thanks Brian

·
Registered
169 Posts
keep in mind this is a newbie talkin here. but are 38.5's on a d44 a reliable combo for muddin?

seems pretty extreme for a small axle

but like i said i am a newbie...let the flaming begin:twak

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it's definitely pushing the limits.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
this is just my opinion but i would just go with the 37s because there going to fit and how much of a differance will 1.5 inches make?:shrug i dont know but thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
676 Posts
When I was Stationed In Iceland many people rode in 74 broncos with 38's and d44 with no problems, in fact Oskar and all my friends always asked me when my little truck was gonna grow up so i could go to the glaciers with them.(My 74 has 33's w/4.56 gears)

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
I think it would have to do with the terrain you will be running on for the most part. I like a wider tire myself and think that 38x11 is a little extreme on the skinny side

I like the 37 boggers myself, but I run mud alot .. I have no choice :shrug ... ask Scott (Dogonmut) how they are on the rocks .. I would bet they are awesome

:thumbup

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
has anyone else heard of a new wider 38.5 inch bogger coming out? i remember reading something about it on pirate, i would wait for them to come out, i believe they were like 13 inches wide

wes

·
Cadillac of Men
3,787 Posts
37s no doubt

4w&or called 37 the greatest all around tire size ever. this was two years ago, just before those 37 boggers were comin out. no other 37s were available at the time.

now look at all the 37s out there, with a bunch new ones slated to come out this year. now everyone is running them.

and 37/13s look hott on eb's

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I like wide tires myself. I run 16/35 x 16.5 Boggers on 12" wide wheels. But they are a bit to wide 50% of the time for rocks. That's why I got a set of 15.5 x 35 x 16.5 SX's and run them on a 10" wide wheel. It narrows their profile and gives them a little more height. Plus the 10" wide wheels have a 5" back space so they suck up under the truck a little better.

As for rocks and Bogger...They're pretty darn good in my opinion or I wouldn't run them. I can't say how they'd do on pure slick rock like in Moab but creek bed and canyon type stuff I've had great luck with them. They claw and grab even the tinyest ledges but there's not alot of lateral bite. I think I'm going to groove my next set.

Another good thing about Boggers is the side wall. I have yet to puncture or rip one and there's a lot of nasty shape and jagged rocks down here.

The only down side to Boggers that I can find is that they are so aggressive and offer so much traction that they wear on the rest of your rig. Keep alot spare parts in your rig. I just snapped an axle U joint that wasted the drivers side axle shaft yesterday and make sure your power steering pump and fluid is up to par. I've burnt up 2 pumps and popped 2 high pressure lines. I even run a cooler and the fluid still runs hot.

After all that is said and done I'd go with the 37 x 13 x 15 if I were you. You'll love them off hi-way. They are the loudest tire I've ever run on the pavement but the pay off in the dirt is more then worth it.

Lastly. I'd not suggest a tire taller then a 37 on a Dana 44 on a rig that is actually wheeled. The rotational force of a 37 is huge and anything taller is only asking for trouble.

BTW-If you want a tire that is slightly less aggressive in the mud and is slightly better on rocks(better lateral traction) take a look at the TSL SX. It's not offered in a 37 but they do have 36 x 12.5 x 15 which are actually 35.9 O.D. The 37 X 13 X 15 Boggers are 36.8 O.D. So your talking about less then an inch in height and probley 20 pounds lighter for the SX's. For the SX's I'd recommend a 15 X 8 wheel with a 3" back space and for the Bogger a 15 X 10 wheel with a 3.5" back space. The 8" wheel for the SX will maximize the tires height potential and protect the lip of the wheel a little better.

I'm not trying to talk you out of Boggers. GOD NO! In a perfect world every one would have a set. I'm just giving you another idea for a great tire that is often over looked.

My 2 cents.

:usa :usa :usa

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
what about a 37" MTR.

i would go with the 37 bogger if you aren't considering MTRs. you're only going to get at the most 3/4" more ground clearance, and that really narrow width isn't going to provide as much lateral traction as a the wider 37. like scott said, boggers aren't all that great for lateral traction.

·
gone fish'n
23,564 Posts
mtr's will clog up where he lives.

those 38/11 boggers are hella narrow. I had thought of them @ one time till I seen a set in person.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the input everyone. The 37's will be my choice. I really like the mtr's but Jopes hit it square on the head---they clog up too easy due to the gumbo mud here. I have a couple of friends that have 33 mtrs and they are a great all around tire but by far not the best in the world in the mud. I don't have any (0, zilch) rocks around here so mostly it's just mud.

Thanks again,
Brian

1 - 15 of 15 Posts