Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 88 is a pure offroad only mudtruck, not street legal tho i could make it if need arises. i kinda of decided that nowhere is close enough to drive it to and it needs to be trailered anywhere. is it currently on 37x12.5x16.5 military Goodyear MTs. they were cool and you can buy them used for like 100$ a tire but they dont do as good in mud as id like. i have considered cutting every other tread of them to be more aggressive but that would be a ton of work

i really like the recentered H1 wheels with double beadlock but 16.5 is such an uncommon size. but i was thinking i can do some Boggers. i seen people on Pirate4x4 say they stuffed the 14.5 wide tires on the narrow 8.5" wheel jsut fine, since its 2-piece wheel its not soo bad and hardly need the beedlock squeezing the tires in anymore. i was thinking about the B-134 38.5 x 15 bogger for the rear and B-154 38.5 x 13.5 bogger in the front. the 13.5 are a bit cheaper and might take some load off the front axle. the 37 x 13 boggers actually cost more so i mgiht as well go slightly bigger as i think i can clear them. however boggers are of course expensive as heck. so id be around 1500$ for tires alone

i have a different option. there is a dealer near me who sells Superior Traction paddle tires for pretty cheap. they problem with these are the narrowness of the tire and i would probably dig to china running them. they are avalible up to 36" tall but only 9.5" wide. but they also have 4" long treads so they can REALLY dig in. they use 16" wheel. defiantly not a streetable tire. my idea was that because of the narrowness i could possibly run a dually setup with these. i would either get a dually axle or dually adapters, buy some cheap dually steelies and have a super agressive, super wide tire in the rear. for the front i would probably stick with single wheel. the best part is the seller sells these at 175$ a tire. but that adds up still plus the axle and the wheels

thoughts?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,137 Posts
Local motorcycle dirt drags use a dually rear setup. Basically two of those paddles mounted on wheels side by side.

Those heavy tread tires were designed for agricultural work: digging paths for water to flow in the fields. Many times they are used on the pivot irrigation systems. They will dig straight to hardpack.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,503 Posts
I think I'd try them as a single first. The paddles (and boggers for that matter) are good at showing you the power you do not have, is why I say that. Usually either of them if you cannot spin them hard enough do not work well in mud (or sand where most of my experience is) That said it looks like it would be quick and easy to shorten the paddles on those too.
Its all about wheel speed, which takes power, no way around it.

Though, Nothing is cooler then the roost from a set of paddles coming out the back of a Bronco though

Have been looking at boogers myself, they are heavy but with some extra work can be made into very close to paddles too.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,137 Posts
Just pay attention to which tread pattern the specific bogger has. Certain ones have a tamer tread pattern than others. Take the 54" vs the 44". The 54 has the small pattern, with shorter lugs. The 44 is the full width and height pattern.

Light tread pattern

Heavy tread pattern

·
Man of endless projects
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i could probably run singles first. i have a set of stock aluminum 16" wheels but i was kinda saving them. most of the stuff i get stuck in is slop which is why i kinda want the dually for width. id perfer width over height but ground clearance is obviously important to prevent framing out. axle is geared to 5.13, got a mild 351w and E4OD. the 36" i should have some more torque but might cause more strain due to more traction. the 38.5 might be abit too much in size anyway. i was always leaning to the paddles

i need to figure out a couple EFI issues and then i can probably make a decent amount more power to maintain more wheel speed. currently running with stock injectors because im having o2 sensor issues and have been leaving them unplugged. once i fix that i should be able to go back to bigger injectors and make some more power again. might jsut go up to 24lb just so if i have the issue again it wont be choking from running super rich like it did with 36lb. 19lb can only support around 260hp, 24lb can at least support 325hp.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,690 Posts
I'm poor and can't afford season-specific tires.

So I took a good idea from WWII U.S. troops:
I took snow chains that I already have and used them through the early Spring when the fire roads are all muddy.

Works like a charm! :cool:(y)

If I need bigger 'paddles', I'll take quick links and bigger chain links and add them across the tires.

·
Man of endless projects
8,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have always wondered about using snow chains offroad. i have seen it but not very commonly. figuered there msut be a reason there not used more. thought about getting a pair for my F250 when pulling a trailer offroad. kinda a pain to pull my mud truck on a trailer thought slick muddy paths. even with front and rear limited slip, it usually end up with ALOT of revving and spraying mud on the trailer and very little movement.

this was last year when i pulled my truck to an offroad event. was litterally 30 minutes straight of 4k rpm inching myself little by little to get though some really slick paths only like 100' long

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,690 Posts
Snow chains; whether they're used in the snow, on muddy trails, or even in sand, do ONE thing:
help provide more traction.

It's amazing how resourceful one becomes when one is poor! 😀
And being able to think outside-the-box; really helps too.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,503 Posts
I wasnt saying your rig didnt make enough power either... I also cut down my own paddles on my 78, and its got a big block. I think duals, sized correctly, will likely be ok. Worst case would be cutting them down, or taking off a set.

I do not know much about chains, but they were not allowed at the mud bogs I used to help with back at home. The higher up club members (that made that call) said it was hard to police that they were put on correctly. I agree that they would likely work though.

·
MidlifeCrisisUndrWay
1,690 Posts
I do not know much about chains, but they were not allowed at the mud bogs I used to help with back at home. The higher up club members (that made that call) said it was hard to police that they were put on correctly. I agree that they would likely work though.
Mud bogs are a whole different animal. :oops:

Good points chain safety.

·
Addicted to Junk
11,137 Posts
Chains are meant for slow speeds. As the wheel accelerates, the chains want to leave the tread surface and can break or fly off. Too many bystanders at events. Same reason some pulling events with turbo engines have restrictions on exhaust exit angle: so a broken turbine wheel doesnt shoot out the exhaust and into the crowd.

That being said, chains are outstanding in ANY sloppy surface. On ice, I'd rather have studs though.

Interco makes an ATV tire capable of what you want, and in a 35x10x17, @14psi, will support 1150 lbs a piece. It's the sniper atv/mt. Available in 15 and 17", no 16 or 16.5. Not dot rated obviously. Has 2" paddles and weighs a mere 55 lbs.

I have also seen skid steer tires on a f250 before. Though they won't have enough tread depth and are super heavy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts