Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas;

Hey well I am getting all my pieces parts ready for my upgrade to the 3G on my 79 460. I have read I think all I can on this upgrade and think I got everything and think I know how I am gonna do this install, but a little beer and a couple of friends won't hurt. Anyway, I read once which I cannot seem to find that particular post, about if I do this upgrade I need to take out/disconnect my stock Alt guage in my instrument cluster due to it can't handle the alternator and could possible burn up and cause havoc. So just want to know if this is true or not,do I just disconnect the guage from the back of the instrument cluster or what. I have traced wires from that thing and I don't (or can't seem to find the right wire) have anything running from my alternator to my cluster, just the wires from baterry then to starter. I have a new amp gauge and already have a volt guage installed, just wanted to get some last minute advice, If you can help, I thank you.

Paul

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just a quick question, and it may be the wrong one, but don't we get those trick 3G harness and stuff from you?

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Paully33 said:
Just a quick question, and it may be the wrong one, but don't we get those trick 3G harness and stuff from you?
You thinking of the stuff Fireguy sells? www.fordfuelinjection.com

·
Registered
80 Posts
Me too

I've been wanting to make the same upgrade but after reading a gillion post I have found the wiring schematic for every year upgrade except the 1979. I'm still not sure of the wiring requirements. Paully33, did you already find that information and if you did could you direct me to it? Thanks.

·
1,739 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the wiring is the only thing that is stumping me, I did the same read a million posts, everything seems to be the same as far as the install. I fab'ed up som new brackets so I can move my alternator to the top of the motor, and all that. Just need to figure the right way to wire this, I am no electrictian but I am sure its not that hard, just have to get some help to make sure the connections will be correct and proper. I am still looking into this and if anyone has any insight I would love the help. As soon as I do find something out I will post it.

·
1,739 Posts
There is only one wire to actually splice into your existing wiring. It's all right there in the BC Broncos pdf I posted. Just check your Hanyes or Chilton's to make sure the color is correct. The big question is if you got the plugs and about 4in of wire for the alternator you are putting on.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
fire guy is the best place to get the complete harness, but i could not wait so i had a local battery place make what i wanted and got a circuit breaker from a car audio place. this is not my diagram but it is what i followed when doing mine and it is linked to my swap......mike

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Aikidoka said:
There is only one wire to actually splice into your existing wiring. It's all right there in the BC Broncos pdf I posted. Just check your Hanyes or Chilton's to make sure the color is correct. The big question is if you got the plugs and about 4in of wire for the alternator you are putting on.
Was gonna say that. If you know how to connect wires and crimp connectors you can do this. My son probably could do it to if he was strong enough to squeeze the handles but he's only 6 months old.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts