Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, call me a dumb ass if you will, but I've been interested in the 3G Upgrade for some time. As an IT professional who uses a laptop in his truck, and is a hardcore Audiophile, I do strain my electrical system from time to time.

I want to install a 3G Alternator. And I've done some searching, and read the install PDFs and threads, but one thing that is stumping me.
The Differances in the Years. Most of the install guides don't tell you what years the guides will work on. The install on a 93 will probably go alot differant that that of an 83. But, is the procedure the same on a 1990 VS a 1993? Or a 91 VS a 92? And I would like to know the exact procedure before getting in over my head, and either not allocating enough time & resources or too much time/resources. (This truck is my current daily driver and I need to make sure I have it running during the week.)

Also, where do these 3Gs come from? What truck are they out of? Is there any truck/engine that these things will bolt directly on to?

I take the G in 3G to mean Generation. So, does that mean it will bolt on to my 1993 302 Bronco without all those fuses/connectors? (I doubt this very much, but I had to ask)

Little details like this sometimes throw me off.
An don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful for the writeups, I just want to make sure i know which ones apply to me, and if all the steps are for my setup.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
there is lots of info to be had on a search. Yes they are different. 3 bolt vs. 2 bolt. i recently also posted more info regarding some of the model changes on more recent v8 motors with 3g, where the mounting feet are different, and depending on what pulley you may need to use, the pulley diameters changed.
Search under fireguy, myself and just 3g. you will find a plethora of info, even for an IT guy

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Pendor said:
The install on a 93 will probably go alot differant that that of an 83.
no there is no difference untill you get to the 3 bolt alts, even then the wiring is the sameAlso, where do these 3Gs come from? What truck are they out of? Is there any truck/engine that these things will bolt directly on to?They come from Mustangs, taurus's, and some broncos had the 130 amp versions all you need to do is look at your alt, find out if its a 3 bolt/2 bolt and if its a 2 bolt figure out if its 12/6 o'clock positions for the tabs or 12/9 (or 3 cant remember) and then buy one that matches that and has 130A in it and bolt it in, using a bolt, washer and a nut (kinda the meaning of bolt in)

I take the G in 3G to mean Generation. So, does that mean it will bolt on to my 1993 302 Bronco without all those fuses/connectors? (I doubt this very much, but I had to ask)
Your bronco already has a 3g (IIRC) but probably only a 95A one. The only thing you need to do is upgrade the main power wire from the red stud on the alt to whevever the other end of the original power wire is hooked to.

Little details like this sometimes throw me off.
An don't get me wrong, I am eternally grateful for the writeups, I just want to make sure i know which ones apply to me, and if all the steps are for my setup.
Just so you know Ford used the same color wire to turn on there alts from 68 till at least the 90's

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh.
So I don't need to cut a bunch of brackets or get a differant bracket to make it fit, and align with the belt correctly? Just get the Fireguy Wire/fuse and bolt it up? Will I need to change the Connector to the Weatherpack style?

See that's where I was confused. I though I would need to cut a bracket to make room and all kinds of other stuff.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Pendor said:
Oh.
So I don't need to cut a bunch of brackets or get a differant bracket to make it fit, and align with the belt correctly? Just get the Fireguy Wire/fuse and bolt it up? Will I need to change the Connector to the Weatherpack style?

See that's where I was confused. I though I would need to cut a bracket to make room and all kinds of other stuff.

Do a search for the 3G Interchange thread. All the info you will need.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aikidoka said:
Do a search for the 3G Interchange thread. All the info you will need.
I've tried searching for 3G stuff I get the following Error
"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: 3G"

Makes it kinda hard to find stuff, so I've been trying to locate threads manually.

·
crank trigger
8,155 Posts
pendor, the 3g for our trucks are direct bolt ins, no fabbing, nada. some say you don't even have to upgrade the charging wire, though I did and most will say you should. you can buy all the stuff you need at any parts store. i bought the palladium alt, put it in, put in new charge wire with 130A circuit breaker and it is fine. takes like an hour if you are f*cking around, prolly like half that if you just want to git-r-done.

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Pendor said:
I've tried searching for 3G stuff I get the following Error
"The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: 3G"

Makes it kinda hard to find stuff, so I've been trying to locate threads manually.
It is currently the 2nd link on page two of a search for "3G Interchange". Although you really only need to search for Interchange because 3G will get filtered out. I was being literal with my post. Man, I wonder if Joe can exclude 3G from the too short list....

·
Registered
210 Posts
Pendor - I just did this upgrade. In fact, I just did this upgrade in a CVS Pharmacy parking lot.

Go to your local parts store (if you want a new or rebuilt 3G, my rebuilt cost $140 with a lifetime warranty) and ask for an alternator for a 1997 Ford F-150 with a V6 engine. This a 130-amp vs. our stock 95-amp. It is a direct replacement for the 92-96 model year FSB's. No grinding required.

If you want more than 130-amps, I'm not sure what to do then, but like I said, I just did this and it went smoothly.

Edit: All the info you could ever want can be found here - http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55169

2nd edit: just noticed this was like 6 months old until the last post.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Pendor, Search need 3 characters. When you type 3g put a * on the end of it. 3g*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts