OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
$40.00 + shipping

Kit includes:
New OEM Alternator Connectors
20" 4 Gauge cable w/ heat shrinked ends for extra protection
2" heat shrink for splicing Green

Kit assembled and ready to install 3G alternator.

4Ga cables avalible in 12" to 36" upon request, price may change.
I dare you to get a better price from any company!

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,067 Posts
Does it come with instructions too??

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, what do you want to know?

After you've installed the 3G alternator:

The battery was disconnected right? should be!

Remove ALL the old alternator wiring. Once you removed all the wires, you'll find that the Green / Red stripe wire keeps going to the firewall. Connect that remaining wire to the Green wire on the 3G harness. Heatshrink that connection you just made.

Hook the 4 gauge cable from the positive post on the 3G to the positive post on the starter relay on the fender.

Reconect battery, drive vehicle :beer :thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,067 Posts
Sounds way too easy. I'm thinking I might have to do this. Why do I think for some reason there was grinding that you have to do on the bracket to get the 3g to fit??

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,067 Posts
That's not too much work, a grinder would not that out in a minute. How much am I looking at paying for one of these alternators?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jermil01 said:
How much am I looking at paying for one of these alternators?
Depends on where you get it. Here is a 160Amp 3G on eBay for $130: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33573&item=2441849782
I don't know them or if it works, but there are typically 10-50 3G's on eBay. I prefer local Alt/starter shops, mine was built in a local to me shop. Try the phone book, or ask the best parts store in town where they would have a 1940 John Deer tractor starter repaired. If the place can fix crazy / old stuff, they can build you a quality alternator.

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Ryan,

I'd suggest to not say buy any 3G alt, it's gonna have to be a specific type. Jeremiah bought one from me and apparently he's having a problem getting it to fit. You should probably wait until he can see what he can do about it before recommending a certain 3G alt.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,067 Posts
Dustball, was the clocking on the 3g that Jermiah got wrong, because I have seen that problem with stock ones?

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
Yes the clocking is opposite but that isn't the problem. The physical size of the case is larger than the existing alt and will not bolt up directly to the factory bracket, which is too bad since I sent him a sweet alt for the money he paid for it.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't worry about that Alt Dustball.
The re-clocking cost $18. It bench tested to just over 130amps.

The case size is funny, but I think I have it understood. I'm 95% sure that the mountign tabs are ment to fit in a Large Case braket. I'm using a LArge case brakt for my normal 3G, so we are going to install his Alt and swap brakets all in one afternoon. We'll get details on how the swap goes soon.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,067 Posts
So would a bracket from a mustang work??

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You don't need a Mustang braket. A normal 3G fits the stock truck bracket with that small amount of grinding.
I'm going to fit that funny 3G Dustball sold Jermiah in a F-250 braket perfectly. Just you watch :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts