Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I ever get any sleep from you folks ;) :toothless

Well I'm not the authority, but I've collected a lot of info and done the swap. So here does the info and LOTS of pics for the dial up people :goodfinge

This is a 2G Alternator or Ford 2nd Generation Alternator:


It has an external fan, not sure when they stopped using them.

2G's have 2 plugs in the back like this:

Which are not very good, the battery plug was a fire hazard!
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is a 3G Alternator which is Ford 3rd Generation Alternator.

The above case is from a 94-95 Mustang

Fords 3G alternator was a giant leap in technology and quality. The 3G was internally regulated, used two internal cooling fans, sealed bearings, and had a superior battery stud. The 3G’s were more efficient, and produced more amperage at idle than any of its predecessors.
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll have to grind this part of the bracket to fit the 130amp + 3G alternator
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the Old 2G wiring:


This is the 3G wiring:


This big difference is the Battery charge output. The 2G uses a connector that had fire issues. The 3G uses a threaded stud for a safer design.
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If anyone needs wiring for a 2G or 3G alternator contact me. I can build it! :thumbup :beer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Hey Fireguy nice pics.

So basically the connections are the same with the exception of the battery and this have 1 wire to the 2 fuse links instead of the 2.

Would that be the only wiring change, from your schematics that is all i can see, or am i missing something?
I am wondering as i want to switch mine to the 3G series.
Thanks
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually the above picturea re more complex than it needs to be!
Those pics are from Ford engeneering diagrams.

To conenct a 3G to the batter a simply batter cable with eyes on both ends are all thats needed.
You can re-use that 1 2G plug but it ususally is old, and there is a nother smaller plug that you'll need anyway. I recomend getting all new connectors for the conversion. It doesn't cost a lot and makes for a new clean install
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Great i will be picking up one on the weekend,
I will post pics if i do not fry my system.

Thanks, looks easy enough.
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 thing at a time, focus on the 351, then buy an ALT, and pay me to wire it :thumbup. I see you lost the focus to re-wire taht stuff with the engine out huh?
 

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
Joined
·
10,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dustball said:
The wiring is rediculously easy. I did a write-up four years ago- http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/alt1.html

I have since replaced the 8ga charge wire with a 4ga "battery to starter" cable.
Well why didn't you psot that link for the several alt posts up right now :beer

Crazed said:
I will be moving a few relays around while it is out, and I think I am going to re-loom everything.

BTW...there is a plug on the rear top of the 5.0 behind the intake....WHATSUPWITHTHAT?
Take a pic of that plug
 

·
shibby
Joined
·
4,828 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
Well why didn't you psot that link for the several alt posts up right now :beer



Take a pic of that plug
Because I'm not recommending the 3G alt anymore for heavy-duty use. I know of a few failures.
 

·
my precioussssssss
Joined
·
877 Posts
Fireguy50 said:
65% of the 3G's are only 90AMP output. The other 35% are 130AMP output. The only way to be sure is to take the Alt to a shop and have it bench tested.
So even if I buy one brand spankin new, I wont know if my alt is actually cranking out 130amps?:shrug
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top