Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent almost 2 hrs reading thru all of the 3G threads, and maybe I just missed it, but can someone confirm whether you need to use the 7.0" or 8.25" stud spacing 3Gs on a 79? The stock alternator on a 79 400 is 7.0", yet all of the FSB threads recommend an 8.25" for a 66-86 Bronco. I *think* it has something to do with a conflict with the smog pump, but I don't have one, and the EBs don't have them. So why the 8.25" recommendation?

Thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
My truck had a combo smog pump/alt bracket. When i got another 7" spacing, the ribs on my 3g wouldn't allow the alt to clear the upper part of the bracket. After some fruitless grinding, I decided to ditch the bracket and make a ghetto one, you can see in my build thread.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the responses guys - looks like the 8.25" alternator is a guaranteed fit in a 79. The 7.0" might work, but not without modifications if you have the smog pump still intact.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is a big difference in the beefness of the larger alternator compared to the smaller alternator. The adjusting ear is a lot thicker. This also gives you more room to get a rachet in at the bolt. If you are tight for space there is a Delco one wire that will work as well (see my avatar). Can get good amperages from the Delco as well, but the 3G is better in muddy conditions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts