Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a boneyard 3G in my 86 300 6/cyl yesterday. Fired it up, checked w/multimeter and was getting 14.6 volts at idle. Cool. But I hopped in for a test ride and the guage (discharge/charge) was showing discharge. I llifted the hood, put the multimeter where I could see from the driver's seat, and checked again. The multimeter showed 14.6 again, dropped to 14.4 with additional loads (lights, heater, etc.) but would go back to 14.6 at anything above idle. The whole time, though, the guage showed discharge. The more load I added, the more discharge it showed. I drove the truck at least 20 miles with headlights and heater on, and it would crank back up without a grunt repeatedly, like it was charging fine. Any ideas what's up with this situation?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Richie

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Richie Sanders said:
I just installed a boneyard 3G in my 86 300 6/cyl yesterday. Fired it up, checked w/multimeter and was getting 14.6 volts at idle. Cool. But I hopped in for a test ride and the guage (discharge/charge) was showing discharge. I llifted the hood, put the multimeter where I could see from the driver's seat, and checked again. The multimeter showed 14.6 again, dropped to 14.4 with additional loads (lights, heater, etc.) but would go back to 14.6 at anything above idle. The whole time, though, the guage showed discharge. The more load I added, the more discharge it showed. I drove the truck at least 20 miles with headlights and heater on, and it would crank back up without a grunt repeatedly, like it was charging fine. Any ideas what's up with this situation?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!
Richie
I take it you have an amp meter in the dash and you ran a new wire from the altenator to your battery or starter solenoid. Hopefully to the starter solenoid. If not, you need to make it that way and put a 140 amp fuse in line. By running a new wire, you essentially reversed current flow from your old setup. Your old gage tells you if you are charging or discharging the battery by measuring voltage drop between two points on your old charging cable. You can do the same thing by finding the two wires ford used for this and putting one on the starter solenoid and the other on the battery. Find a wiring schematic to see which wires they are and where they need to go. Essentially the wire close to the battery needs to go....to the battery. Doing this will not necessarily bring back the old operation of your amp meter. By upgrading to a larger altenator you have increased the capacity of your system so it will take more accessories to produce a discharge situation. So it will always show either charge or, more likely, nothing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts