Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 3g alt Ive got out of a 00 F150 with a 4.2 L 6cyl fits, has the right plugs, everything, BUT, the pully shaft is narrower in diameter. The shaft itself is actually the same, but the machined "washer" that is suppused to press up against the base of the shaft(front of the alt) is much smaller diameter. Does anyone know what Im talking about?

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
so the pulleys are differnt? I can kinda picture what your saying. which one is smaller? the F150 or the bronco? are the grooves and pulley size the same between the two so you could run the one that fits the alt?

did I just make it worse?? haha

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dustin, you are on the right page, stang you are fubar:goodfinge

Ill snap a pic later, but will explain again.

the pulley diameter where the belt goes is the same, as well as the same width. basically, the belt should be an exact match.

When i slide my pulley (its a double pulley from onboardair.com to run my york, BUT for arguments sake, lets assume its my factory 95 amp pulley), it slides right on the shaft, and would bolt down fine, BUT there is a machined spacer on the backside of the pulley. The face of the machined spacer is suppsed to fit inside of the body of the alternator a little bit. The machined spacer on the 95A alt is a larger diameter than the 130 amp alt body's hole, so I can not use the stock pulley from my 95A alt. Subsequently, i can not use my Kilby pulley. this may prevent me from running a 3G (cause otherwise it would require a different york set up, and I like mine)

Just trying to figure out if anyone has made the 95A pulley work on the 130A alt? Dustin, what pulley did you use?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
follow up

Dustin, i just looked at your pics, and your alt isnt like mine.

Look at the flat spot around the pulley shaft. Mine is much narrower that the ones on those two alts. What application is your alt for?

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
stangmata50l said:
As far as I knew a 3G pulley was a 3G pulley was a 3G pulley :shrug

My pulley from my 78 bronco's alternator fit right on the 3g with out any problems. :goodfinge

to answer plug question a bit, are you able to use the washer which is already on the g3? get one which works?

I know when I did mine I had to fine tune the alignment with different washers. If the shaft diameter is the same as your kilby pulley I see no reasons you cannot get it to work.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah, but as mentioned, i need a dual pulley. One for the stock 6 rib (or 8 whatever the hell it is) and then the V belt machined into it. i wish it were as simple getting a new pulley.

Ryan, is there anyway to tell what the pulley hole will be like without removing the pulley? the yard has a few alts on the shelf, and I am gonna try and go exchange it tomorrow.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
ah I knew I was thinking of that goofy lip on the front of the case.

my 130amper is from a equal year(94-95) E250 with a 5.8. I used the pully that was on my bronco since the new one didnt come with one.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, as info. Went to the yard again. It seems that body style isnt that rare, as it was on every post 98 alt I found. Not sure about newer years. It would be fine for anyone swapping to that alt, but you will HAVE to have the right pulley. either stock or from Ryan, as your stock bronco pulley will not fit.

Unfortunately, I had to go with an older style 3g to use my kilby pulley for my york, and I spoke with brad, and he does not yet make a pulley for the newer alts with the 15/16 spcer diameter.

This alt puts out 140 peak amps and around 14.1 volts. Not bad, but not as good as the other one of the f150 (it was 5 years newer afterall)

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
yes that style case is on most of the newer vehicles now however alot of those dont have the 3 bolt setup like our broncos use tho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts