Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My alternator is bad. I read about the upgrade and I may just buy the alternator tommorrow if I can sort out what I need. This is from another thread here in this site:

If you have an 87-92 302 or 351W: you have a 2G alternator. This is an early serpentine style. This can only be replaced with a Pivot Mount w/ 7.00” ear spacing alternator. This can be found in the following cars: narrow-eared non-DOHC Taurus from 93-99, any 94-95 V8 Mustang, 94-00 V6 Mustang , 94-97 V6 T-Bird/Cougar, 95-98 Windstar, & 91-94 V6 Lincoln Continental. The early serpentine car and truck alts on Ryan's site are interchangable but the plug and charge stud are clocked differently to fit the wiring to the bracket better. The Pivot Mount w/ 7.00” ear spacing can be swapped into:
1987-1992 Broncos/E-Series/F-series
1966-1995 Mustangs

So, if I go buy a 3G from any of the vehicles listed, I can do an even swap to my Bronco? Will the plugs fit in on the 3G without any issues? Im confused with the plug and charge explanation. Do I need to buy anything else? Thanks a lot!:whiteflag

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
there is alot of information on this swap on this site. you should get the wire loom from the junk yard or ryan then you need a charge wire and breaker or fuse again new, junk yard or Ryan. I made my own you can look on my suoerford site. or search here and you will find a ton of information....mike

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive read all of that. Still not sure which cables from my 2G stay and which ones go. If anyone can telll me what I will plug on the 3G from my current 2G alternator and what goes away. Also, from the 3G harness, where do I plug the loose cable to. Thanks.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
You need to know how to read a wiring diagram with 5 wires on it. They are posted here several times

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just order the alternator and will be buying the 3G wiring harness. I understand I need to connect the charge cable to the battery and the wiring harness to the alternator. Then find the red/green cable and connect just that cable to the wiring harness loose cable.

My Bronco has a box on the side close to the battery that says (diode) on top. The + on the battery goes there and there are some other cables that are connected there.. Do I just pull the rest of the wires (including that box) and throw it away? Seems like with the 3G installation, you get rid of a lot of wiring. Just need to know if I can discard all the old wiring harness cablery and the diode box. Thanks. and sorry if I sound stupid; I do a lot of work myself, just have always been shy with electrical crap. Thanks again guys..

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
1989BroncoPR said:
My Bronco has a box on the side close to the battery that says (diode) on top. The + on the battery goes there and there are some other cables that are connected there.. Do I just pull the rest of the wires (including that box) and throw it away? Seems like with the 3G installation, you get rid of a lot of wiring. Just need to know if I can discard all the old wiring harness cablery and the diode box. Thanks. and sorry if I sound stupid; I do a lot of work myself, just have always been shy with electrical crap. Thanks again guys..
No, you don't trash that box. You only replace the 2G wire harness that comes from the old alternator to the battery side of the Start Relay. In an 89 the wires from the alternator (Black with orange stripe, yellow with white stripe) come together at a fusable link. Remove that harness and hook up according to the information on Fireguy50's site http://www.fordfuelinjection.com Look under the products link.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
THanks Fred. I think I finally figured it out. Im getting the wiring harness from the site. Will post results later.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts