Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My v belt has been squealing since I did the 3g upgrade on my 83 300 I6 bronco. I know the new alt is causing the belt to slip.

My question is should I get a dual vbelt pulley or a larger pulley?

Also if I decide to swap over to serp pulleys I would need a reverse rotation water pump right?

thanks

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used a new belt.

Looked under the hood and there is melted rubber on the front of the alt. Could the belt be too tight?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
Josh, if he's got rubber on it then it's slipping. it's either too loose, or the load is too much for the belt to handle.

OP, what's the amp output of the alternator? you may need to upgrade to a double v-belt.

·
was born with a
4,414 Posts
mine squealed after the new alt.

changed the belt, then it was the idler and tensioner squealed. changed those then the clutch fan squealed.

so... if you can. save yourself the headache and just do it all at once.

and if your belt is coming off, its probably too small.

make sure you have the right number of ribs

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
mine squealed after the new alt.

changed the belt, then it was the idler and tensioner squealed. changed those then the clutch fan squealed.

so... if you can. save yourself the headache and just do it all at once.

and if your belt is coming off, its probably too small.

make sure you have the right number of ribs
you really do not read do you?

he has a "V" BELT

put a new belt on, run it for 10-15 minutes, re tighten. Run for 30-60 minutes and retighten it. Run it longer and check it. Your going to need to tighten it a little more than your normal belt tension.

·
was born with a
4,414 Posts
you really do not read do you?

he has a "V" BELT

put a new belt on, run it for 10-15 minutes, re tighten. Run for 30-60 minutes and retighten it. Run it longer and check it. Your going to need to tighten it a little more than your normal belt tension.
:goodfinge doin whatever i can to stay woke and finish these last few hours

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I did the 3g swap, I had to go to a wider belt.
The old belt was a 13300 and the new belt is a 15300.
15 is how wide
300 is the length
Now it doesn't sit as far down in the pulley and gives more surface area to grip pulley. I hope this will help you.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its 160 amp 3g from RJM. I will try to tighten the belt. Its pretty tight now but wont hurt to try. If not I will try the wider belt.

thanks for all the replies.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
a single vbelt will not hold 160 amps no matter much you tighten it. you need to upgrade.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
So what do you need to upgrade?

Bigger belt?
Dual Belt?
Which pulleys do you need? i know I ordered that dual vbelt pulley from RJM on the alt...but if i have two slots for the vbelt, where does the other belt go? i have no AC system

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have an 85 FSB w/ I6 300, I was told that when I do the 3g upgrade to plan on doing double v-belts. I also plan on adding a york compressor for OBA.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Going for the double vbelt....where would you put the second belt? ? ? i have the dual pulley...but i have no clue as to where i would pull the second belt

·
Registered
314 Posts
Going for the double vbelt....where would you put the second belt? ? ? i have the dual pulley...but i have no clue as to where i would pull the second belt
Mine came with a/c so it has a extra pulley off the crank (i guess or its longer). Just ordered the dual pulley from Rjm going to pull the a/c belt off for now dont need it anymore.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My v belt has been squealing since I did the 3g upgrade on my 83 300 I6 bronco. I know the new alt is causing the belt to slip.

My question is should I get a dual vbelt pulley or a larger pulley?

Also if I decide to swap over to serp pulleys I would need a reverse rotation water pump right?

thanks
=====
Most likely the belt you are using does not fit the pully. Full contact is required.
PaulW

·
Registered
188 Posts
This might seem like an odd question, but have you checked to see if the pulleys are aligned properly? A little off will eat a belt. it doesn't take much to cause side load on the belt. I had to add shims to my A/C bracket to align belt properly. I deal with V-belt everyday with my job and alignment causes more problems than you know. Also check your pulleys have the same pitch and don't have excessive wear

1 - 20 of 20 Posts