Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,076 Posts
The 3rd brake light was in 92 - 96 Broncos. I don't know if the f-series had it yet on the cab, but maybe.
Yeah, they did. It's the exact same light unit and wiring as on Broncos. I had the thought once of taking advantage of that common design and building a 3rd brake light into the back of the cab roof, so it's still present when the hardtop is removed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
So here's what I have learned from mine:
The black wire with purple stripes which is tied into your brake lights/reverse lamps also runs along in the ceiling above the headliner. the trim inside the cab is metal and wire was rubbing against and created a short and then my transmission went into limp mode(NO PSOM goes blank) where it's slam shifts just enough to get you home but that's it. found the short, (running across the top of the windshield behind the trim going to the daytime/night time rear view mirror) taped it up and no more problems-- but it's weird because now that this has been brought up about the third brake light, I've noticed how the two courtesy lights(either side of the brake bulb) that come on when you unlock the truck or open the door one is always burned out and when I change it then the other one burns out. so I've learned to just let it be and only one works.
I've posted this several times indifferent forums and posts! this post is great because it helps a lot of people with this generation bronco realize that crazy #_#&$- is going on. Since it's so weird it really should be made into common knowledge with all these broncos not with just third brake lights but with e4od transmissions and brake wires. I can't remember off the top of my head which fuse it is, but that circuit based on what I looked in my manual has like three or four things on it :
abs /psom/ and something to do with the transmission /oh and wouldn't you know it reverse lamps.
TV

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,196 Posts
So here's what I have learned from mine:
The black wire with purple stripes which is tied into your brake lights/reverse lamps also runs along in the ceiling above the headliner. the trim inside the cab is metal and wire was rubbing against and created a short and then my transmission went into limp mode(NO PSOM goes blank) where it's slam shifts just enough to get you home but that's it. found the short, (running across the top of the windshield behind the trim going to the daytime/night time rear view mirror) taped it up and no more problems-- but it's weird because now that this has been brought up about the third brake light, I've noticed how the two courtesy lights(either side of the brake bulb) that come on when you unlock the truck or open the door one is always burned out and when I change it then the other one burns out. so I've learned to just let it be and only one works.
I've posted this several times indifferent forums and posts! this post is great because it helps a lot of people with this generation bronco realize that crazy #_#&$- is going on. Since it's so weird it really should be made into common knowledge with all these broncos not with just third brake lights but with e4od transmissions and brake wires. I can't remember off the top of my head which fuse it is, but that circuit based on what I looked in my manual has like three or four things on it :
abs /psom/ and something to do with the transmission /oh and wouldn't you know it reverse lamps.
TV
I also experienced the Shorted out wire running across my interior windshield trim to the Day/Night Mirror, I shorted it out putting it back together which led to the Speedo/Odometer going blank and my Trans shifting $hitty because the Fuse had blown.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
I've never had an E4OD so I don't know the ins-and-outs, but there are aftermarket controllers for them, for people who want to put them in older vehicles, or vehicles that came with a manual.
I would think those work differently and would isolate the shifting away from the stock computer.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I'm on the fence about this. Activation of the BOO will unlock the torque converter when in OD, but that's all it does. I don't know how this could affect shift clutch engagement in any gear, and I don't see where this can cause excess wear anywhere else in the transmission. I think that the end result of running with the BOO constantly active is worse gas mileage, and that's it. I'm no transmission expert, but I think that the BOO is blamed for a lot of problems without merit.

The only exception I can think of is if the BOO were intermittent, and the TC clutch is continuously engaging/disengaging. In this case I could see the TC clutch wearing out faster.

·
Registered
95 5.8L MAF XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Man hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15, 304K miles
1,196 Posts
I'm on the fence about this. Activation of the BOO will unlock the torque converter when in OD, but that's all it does. I don't know how this could affect shift clutch engagement in any gear, and I don't see where this can cause excess wear anywhere else in the transmission. I think that the end result of running with the BOO constantly active is worse gas mileage, and that's it. I'm no transmission expert, but I think that the BOO is blamed for a lot of problems without merit.

The only exception I can think of is if the BOO were intermittent, and the TC clutch is continuously engaging/disengaging. In this case I could see the TC clutch wearing out faster.
Yes that would be with your Flashers on drivin down the road. Or with a blown fuse and your Trans in Safety Mode/Limp mode slamming gears and Not receiving any signals from the Computer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
So I have had issues with my transmission where the engine would stall when placed in drive. I pulled the computer and found a tiny bit of corosion crossing 2 or 3 traces. Cleaned it and all was good. Then I have at random times smelled a oil burning smell after replacing the trans oil filter and fluid. Then I read this thread and decided i better take a look see. This is what I found.

Any ideas what would cause this and I see no numbers on the bulbs for replacement look up. I am thinking the harness needs to be repaired at minimum or replaced if I can find a good one in a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0 M/T, 33's, 4.10 LSD
3,076 Posts
I think the 3rd brake housings on '92-96 models (they kept using the same housings until at least '99, probably throughout that next Gen) are just a poor design for incandescent bulbs. Too much heat in too small a space. Every one I've looked at has had moderate to extreme melting of the thin plastic walls, bulging bulbs, beginnings of harness burning, etc.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Im thinking to just cut and splice a new socket from the exterior light socket onto the 3rd brake light socket. I'm wondering if splicing and soldering a new socket onto the third brake light circuit will change the resistance and cause issues with the transmission?

I looked in two wrecking yards today for a better wiring harness but they were either already gone or just as bad if not worse. The newer light sockets from the next gen trucks are a bit different.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts