Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody i have 35 i9nch tires on my fsb and i want to upgrade my gears should i go with 4.56 gears or something different also front and rear or just put them in the rear any info would help also a certain brand of gears thanks in advance

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
Is the bronco used for strictly offroad? If it's strictly offroad i would say yea, 4.56's would be good, but if you do any highway driving, your motor is going to be screaming and you can say goodbye to your gas mileage.

If your going to use it for offroading and street use, i would suggest you go with 4.11`'s, this will ease your motor on the highway, and keep you with somewhat decent gas mileage.

When changing gears, you ALWAYS change front and rear, or you will never be able to use your 4x4 again. The drivetrain will bind from the different gearing, if you go with 4.11's you need to go both axles.

There is a sticky on this, i suggest you read that, and try a search for gearing, there is a lot of information in this subject already.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
I think with the OD tranny 456 will be fine. me i am going with 4.11s though

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bronco Rob said:
Is the bronco used for strictly offroad? If it's strictly offroad i would say yea, 4.56's would be good, but if you do any highway driving, your motor is going to be screaming and you can say goodbye to your gas mileage.

If your going to use it for offroading and street use, i would suggest you go with 4.11`'s, this will ease your motor on the highway, and keep you with somewhat decent gas mileage.

When changing gears, you ALWAYS change front and rear, or you will never be able to use your 4x4 again. The drivetrain will bind from the different gearing, if you go with 4.11's you need to go both axles.

There is a sticky on this, i suggest you read that, and try a search for gearing, there is a lot of information in this subject already.
hey thanks for the info is it a bad idea to keep the gears stock with 35 inch tires?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
the 4:56 are good 35" tire gears. they pushed the 40s' fine but i liked the 33 and 4:56. you should think how you plan to use the truck andstay with that plan/.........mike

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Here is a link to a site that has calculators for almost anything you can want. Gear ratio, tire size, metric tire size, etc...
http://www.4lo.com/

·
Registered
605 Posts
i was wondering myself about gettting 4.56's but its 75% street an 25% mud an trail *weekend warrior* non OD tranny

i did wanna move up to 37's cuz 35's just dont really look right now. i had 40's on there with stock running gears for alittle bit an it was a slug:twak

so maybe ill stick with 4.56's and not 4.11's :shrug

·
Zombie Hunter
13,686 Posts
bronco freak said:
hey thanks for the info is it a bad idea to keep the gears stock with 35 inch tires?
Well, when i do my lift i am going to be running 35's on the stock 3.55's. I am not planning on beating anything off the line, and when i do wheel it, it's not even really gonna be wheeling compared to what some of these guys do.

The eventual plan is to run 35's with 4.11's but i can only do one big thing at once (i.e. suspension, bodywork, gears)

I've got it all planned out on what i want to do. Sticking to the plan is another story.

That is just my opinion, people may agree with it, people may not. It all depends on what you are going to do with the truck.95% of the time mine is on pavement.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Well, alot depends on what you are using your rig for. I just put 4.88s in and I love them, currently I run 33" tires and will be going to 35"s but I dont do much on the road. I was surprised though I can run 70-75 down the higway. If you are keeping your rig a daily driver I would say stay 4.11, if the majority of your use is on trailsthen 4.56/4.88s. I am assuming you have the E4OD. If you stay with stock you will be a dog on the hills and off the line. This also includes trail performance, you will need alot of throttle in comparison to regearing. One drawback to going to the shorter gears though is gas mileage. Anyways I hope this helps you make your decision.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
If you have an overdrive tranny then 4.56:1 gears will be just fine. I ran them on my Bronco for 5 yrs and it is a 99% street truck. You got to remember that with 37" tires 4.56:1 gears are the same ratio as the stock 3.55s and the stock tires. Thats only 2" diferance in diamiter from 35" to 37". 4.11:1 gears on 35" tires will still be geared slightly higher than stock. My in town mpg went up and my highway milage stayed the same.

If you do not have an overdrive tranny then I would go with 4.11:1. But with an overdrive trany there would be no choice for me.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just check 87EBBronco link and with 4.54 gear and 35" and 0.67 4th OD its 100 rpm more at 60mph, with 4.11 about 100rpm less

i'm going with 4.54 on my project :toothless

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
I ran 33's and 4.56 for a couple of years, it was great. With an OD tranny, don't sweat it. I would personally not go any less with 35's. The doomsday prophecies of "say goodbye to gas mileage" are completely untrue. The EFI motors esp are happy to cruise around 2500 all day. The fact that you've lifted the truck thus destroying what little aerodymanics a Bronco might have has a greater effect on mileage than the gearing anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
I wonder at what point does the lower RPM of the 4.11's 35's and O/D, actually HURT mileage vs the 4.56's 35's and O/D?
Does the engine need to work harder to maintain speed with 4.11's therefore using more fuel?
The 4.56's with 35's should give a 2175 RPM at 70 MPH.
The 4.11's with 35's shohuld give 1960 RPM at 70 MPH

·
Registered
100 Posts
I run stock gears with 35s, it isnt the best, but it works for me.
Mileage is what kills ya, and the T-converter over working, but I drive like a old lady now days so it hasnt hurt me yet...
I probably would change out gears but my FSB has had these tires for almost 4 years so Ill be keeping them the way it is...
I wheel in the desert, for hunting, I save my crawling for my CJ. Ive yet to be stuck, but Im not going to be winning any races!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The wear on the converter is always what's worried me the most. To the OP, just check into other people's feedback when they're running E40D's and gears. I'd think that if you're planning to stick with 35's and not go any bigger, 4.11 and 4.56 would both be fine and just depend on where you prefer to sit at with RPM's on the highway. If ya ever want to go bigger than 35's, choice is a bit more clear cut.

·
Administrator
22,845 Posts
The wear on the converter is always what's worried me the most. To the OP, just check into other people's feedback when they're running E40D's and gears. I'd think that if you're planning to stick with 35's and not go any bigger, 4.11 and 4.56 would both be fine and just depend on where you prefer to sit at with RPM's on the highway. If ya ever want to go bigger than 35's, choice is a bit more clear cut.
the OP posted this 4 years ago....

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
the OP posted this 4 years ago....
Ya I know. I just want to add questions and learn more about some of the topics already discussed without starting new topics of the same old thing...:beer

·
Administrator
22,845 Posts
Ya I know. I just want to add questions and learn more about some of the topics already discussed without starting new topics of the same old thing...:beer
:thumbup

I applaud you for that, the comment was directed to the member I quoted, I am sure by now he has figured out what gearing he wanted.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts