Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to install 4.88's. I know I need a new carrier (or lunch box locker) for the D44, but what about the 8.8? Do I need to find a stock carrier from something with 4.10's?

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
304 Posts
no break on an 8.8. you are good to go.
EDIT: i have heard of clearance issues with the housing's though. not too sure what i am talking about because it was some second hand b/s i heard, maybe someone else knows what i "may have heard"

·
Registered
133 Posts
About to install 4.88's. I know I need a new carrier (or lunch box locker) for the D44, but what about the 8.8? Do I need to find a stock carrier from something with 4.10's?

Thanks guys.
hey just a question but do you think the 8.8 will last with 4.88 locker with your 37's?, totaly with you on this one i got 4.56/detroit/31spline shafts/master rebuild kit on order but im now second guessing myself after reading on here a little more:)eek:already paid:doh0715:). Im still waiting on the parts truck but should be in first of this week i still havent got back to town i think i have your number in my msgs so ill txt you when u can come rape it.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Read my sig. These gears and lockers have been in this rig since 00' and I have only needed to replace 5-6 front ttb long axles, I was hard on them and always ran spicer joints which found the weak link the knuckles on the stock axles. The rear 8.8 has not been opened up since 2004 when I put disc brakes on it and looked fine. I started out on 36" tsl sx's and am currently running 38" tsl's. I wouldn't change a thing, but bigger is always better in the rock crawling world!! So I've heard.

·
Registered
304 Posts
granted, it was a nine inch, but my 85 f150 had a 400hp 500ft lbs 460 with a detroit and 38's. that was back in high school when i could've given a fawk less if i broke something. the worst i came out with was twisted splines on one shaft. depending on your level of stupidity, you can make any axle last. if you know you have a "light duty axle" you will most likely know when to say no, or you will figure out real quick that you need to swap up.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no break on an 8.8. you are good to go.
EDIT: i have heard of clearance issues with the housing's though. not too sure what i am talking about because it was some second hand b/s i heard, maybe someone else knows what i "may have heard"
Awesome thanks for the quick response.

hey just a question but do you think the 8.8 will last with 4.88 locker with your 37's?, totaly with you on this one i got 4.56/detroit/31spline shafts/master rebuild kit on order but im now second guessing myself after reading on here a little more:)eek:already paid:doh0715:). Im still waiting on the parts truck but should be in first of this week i still havent got back to town i think i have your number in my msgs so ill txt you when u can come rape it.
Luckily ttb axles are cheap! I'm planning on just running a limited slip or tru trac in the rear. Something that has more slip than a locker because I do DD my bronco. And you know what cruising highway 2 in the winter is like...

I was thinking a lockrite in the front, I never wheel with a heavy pedal and its not like we rock crawl up here.

The 4.88's were $300 which is why i not throwing a 9" or 10.25 in.

Text me when your in town man.

Read my sig. These gears and lockers have been in this rig since 00' and I have only needed to replace 5-6 front ttb long axles, I was hard on them and always ran spicer joints which found the weak link the knuckles on the stock axles. The rear 8.8 has not been opened up since 2004 when I put disc brakes on it and looked fine. I started out on 36" tsl sx's and am currently running 38" tsl's. I wouldn't change a thing, but bigger is always better in the rock crawling world!! So I've heard.
Very nice man! Sounds like you've had some good luck! Im not planning on an sas because if I was it would be a 60... then I need 44's, which means more lift, new coils, shocks, then real lockers, then more gears.... f-that. lol

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
When you go down to 4.88:1 gears in an 8.8 you run into a few problems.

1. The ring gear is super thick. You will either have to run a weak notched pinion shaft, or grind a good chunk of one or more of the ring gears teeth so that a regular shaft can be installed. (It only takes a little grinding on one tooth, outside of the normal wear pattern to run 4.56:1 gears)

2. Anything lower than 4.56:1 in an 8.8 and the pinion gear gets awfull, awfull small with very few teeth. This = less teeth engagement between the pinion and ring gears = Higher stress per tooth = weaker setup.

Just a few things to think about.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
i love my 4.88's been on the rig for 2yrs now with no issues. i am open in the rear though. Aussie up front and broke the short side once due to joint failure and the right side got replaced when i spit a ujoint cap. otherwise good. the key is to not turn sharp and be on the throttle. this will bind the ujoints and cause failure.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you go down to 4.88:1 gears in an 8.8 you run into a few problems.

1. The ring gear is super thick. You will either have to run a weak notched pinion shaft, or grind a good chunk of one or more of the ring gears teeth so that a regular shaft can be installed. (It only takes a little grinding on one tooth, outside of the normal wear pattern to run 4.56:1 gears)

2. Anything lower than 4.56:1 in an 8.8 and the pinion gear gets awfull, awfull small with very few teeth. This = less teeth engagement between the pinion and ring gears = Higher stress per tooth = weaker setup.

Just a few things to think about.
I can't really find what your talking about but have told this twice. Here's the only thing I could find on installing the 4.88's. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132647&highlight=4.88

Do you know of any write ups around here?

i love my 4.88's been on the rig for 2yrs now with no issues. i am open in the rear though. Aussie up front and broke the short side once due to joint failure and the right side got replaced when i spit a ujoint cap. otherwise good. the key is to not turn sharp and be on the throttle. this will bind the ujoints and cause failure.
When you installed the 4.88's did you run into any issues that gacknar is talking about?

·
Registered
304 Posts
i'll try to get my buddy to come over and tell you what's up. i think he is online right now

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
Sorry Dan, you don't have any friends... Lol

Anyways, I put 4.56s in my DD with a 8.8, I used a notched crosspin without issues untell I put a Aussie Locker in the rear, than I had to grind a tooth down a bit. I havee no idea how much you would have to grind on the 4.88s, but I would think two teeth maybe three.

As for the pinion being the weak part when they get that low of gears, I personally don't think its a issue. I have ran 5.13s and 5.38s for years(different axles though) and never had a pinion or ring gear fail due to the size. Had a ring gear break because the carrier bearings went out. I would say you should be fine with 4.88s. If you are worried about stock carrier strength put a detroit in it. Might be easiest to put a C clip eliminater kit in it, than it would be grinding on the new ring gears or running a notched crosspin.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Before you get into it, just take a step back and ask if it's worth the trouble. So many guys go into this with confidence and realize what a mistake it was. Sometimes it's better left to professionals.

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
That is a good point.

A successful home install requires a good understanding of how to set gears up right, and some good quality specialty tools are needed, along with proper parts.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't get me wrong... I'll build any part of my truck or replace any part that needs replacing. I would NEVER attempt a gear install myself. My friend Jimmy is going to do it (15 year journeyman mechanic for ford). He was the first to mention about te 4.88s being too wide and needing a solution for install.

Do you notch the cross pin yourself or is there an after market solution? When people are mentioning grinding teeth, is that on the pinion or ring gear?

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
You buy a notched crosspin. If you do that and keep it a open diff, you DON'T have to grind on the RING gear.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
i had the pros do my gears so i am not sure which method they went with.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
I broke a notched crosspin coasting down a hill. Thing snapped when the AOD clunked into overdrive. Granted that was a pre "87" 8.8 with a slightly smaller cross-pin.

This is the one that should fit post-87 8.8's
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-32308-8-8-notched-cross-pin-7-8-.html

C-Clip eliminators are a horrid idea on a trail vehicle.

Have you have ever seen a 4.88:1, 8.8 pinion gear?
It's tiny.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts