Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Urgent..Just found a 1990 for sale with the 6 cylinder. sign says EGR,O2 etc replaced so sounds like a recent debugging rabbit chase.. Is this as bad a gas hog and power dog as some of the pick ups I've been told about? Search of all forums didn't turn up much. This is real clean and asking $2750 , but I want to know about gas mileage and engine /trans problems. I trust it will do snow and off road good. Would really appreciate this as I have two project Blazers,73&74 I will sell if this works out. Your chance to reclaim me from the Dark SIde. Please tell me about these puppies! Thanks in advance.

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
I'll welcome you to our site...:beer But I let a 6 banger owner answer your question...both my rigs are 5.0's.....:shrug Hope things work out for ya..:thumbup

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I'm perfectly content with my 300. When I first got it, I wasn't too exstatic about it....being a 6 cylinder and all. But after a while and some research, I've found that there's quite the following for aftermarket parts for it. You got to search for them a little bit though. Fordsix.com is packed full of knowledgeable guys that build/drive/and even race 300s. Right now mileage for me isn't all that great. But I've come across some who've hit 18 mpg with a better exhaust and freer flowing air intake. As for acceleration...it can hang. Maybe not a 351, but I think I could hang with a stock 302 (my 300 is stock), in a truck of course.

·
Registered
677 Posts
to be honest and i've gotten into a alot of arguments over it but i'd take a 300 over and 8 cyl smaller then a 400 anyday. mainly cause i like to be a pain in the ass but any way their great dependable engines i've got 210k org. miles on mine without a prob. aftermarket is limited but aviable with the right set up you can pull stumps with out breaking a sweat. not to mention gas mileage is generally abit better.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
I will say the I6 300 is one darn tuff engine. I had one in my 79 w/NP435. I really liked it. It pulled the 33's with no problem. I started to notice quite a bit of oil around the engine, guessing that the valve cover gasket definately needed replacing. So I cleaned the engine bay off realy good. Drove it the next day, got home open the hood and it looked like someone just through some oil in there all over the place. Well I didn't have time to really work on it so I just made sure I checked the oil quite often. I noticed after a while that it was using quite a bit. Well I had the engine running and heard a ticking sound. Got to listening to it and it was coming from the front bottom of the motor. I shut it down and grabbed the crank pully and could literally move it about 1/8-1/4" in any direction. So I knew the bottom end was shot. But it ran like this for months. I never really had any problems with the enigine other than the oil all over the place. Hence the 351m swap!!:thumbup Gotta love the V8!:thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
116 Posts
Love my I6

Well I'm new to fsb but not to my I6 She's been with me from Arizona to Louisiana and I wouldn't dream of replacing it not even for a 429 cj That thing pulls like crazy and I have been brutal on her from the get go. No matter if I run it till she boils there's no breaking her and she's got over 300 thousand miles and still going. Now there is some considerable differences in having a inline 6 to a v8. Your gonna pull like hell, probably better than most similar sized v8's but your not gonna be as fast. Your gas millage if you put a little tlc into her is gonna pay off big. So all in all its a great motor but if you decide to put some aftermarket parts into here remember that its a motor built to produce torque and if you cater to that you can make her give you some kick a** results in the sand and mud!! :drinkbud

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
Dude, this topic was from November of 2003.

No need to revive topics that haven't been touched for five YEARS.

·
Registered
649 Posts
He knows he just types slow. Real slow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts