Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 89 FSB with a 4.9 EFI engine. I've used the search button but haven't found any info on swapping a 4.9 efi to a 5.8 efi as far as being able to use the same wiring harness and tranny (c-6). I also have a carburated 460 sitting in my garage with the rest of the drive train (C-6, NP 205 transfercase, D 44, ford 9'' rear end) that came out of a 78 or 79 bronco. So my dilema is I don't know if I should convert my truck to a carburated set up or try to find a 5.8 efi since I intend to use it as a daily driver and occasional mud toy and gas prices are crazy these days :banghead . Any suggestions would be appreciated guys.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
with gas prices crazy high i say keep the 300-6. its the best motor ford ever produced practicly. they last for ever and are great for wheeling along with great mpg. i wouldnt bother with the other two options really. whats wrong with your current setup anyhow

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
For your DD I'd go with the 5.8 efi.. I've never heard the term 4.9 litter. I thought they were all 5.0 302 motors.. If it's a 4. something then wouldn't it be a 6 cyl?

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,830 Posts
the 4.9 is the 300-6cyl. if i could find a bronco with one i would buy it over my 5.8 equiped rig. its just a great motor

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kemicalburns said:
with gas prices crazy high i say keep the 300-6. its the best motor ford ever produced practicly. they last for ever and are great for wheeling along with great mpg. i wouldnt bother with the other two options really. whats wrong with your current setup anyhow
It leaks oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid; which are relatively easy fixes I guess, but the main thing is the engine feels weak like its about to go. Whenever I stop at a traffic light the RPMs and oil pressure drops all the way down, engine light comes on, and the truck will start shaking then the engine stops. I ussually put it in neutral and it will stay running but its a pain in the @$$ when I'm stuck in traffic. It also runs rich, it has an exhaust manifold leak which makes it sound like crap, etc... I think I'm gonna sell it with the extra motor and transmission and find another Bronco with the 5.8 and do the SAS on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts