Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new here, and I posted on the intro board already! I'm not at all new to Bronco's. This is my fourth, and my second Fullsize, the other 2 were B2's, which I still have one.

Anyway, My old '86 Fullsize was a 302, automatic. It was a real rustbucket project. I loved the truck, but my truck right now, and the one I have a question about, is my '92. Here's the specs.

1992 Bronco XLT
4.9L I6
Auto/OD
146,000 Miles
6" Susp. lift
35" BFG Mud-Terrains
Flowmaster 40 series cat-back

Here's my question, when I bought the truck, it had the factory exhaust on it, which needed replaced. I have a friend at the local Lentz, who piped it for me for $250, if I provided him the muffler. I gave him a Flowmaster 40 series single in dual out. 3" in, and 2.5" out, because that's all the made for the Original series, and I don't like the delta flows. ANYWAY! We hoisted up the truck, and looked underneath, and found that the rearmost cat. was rusted away, so we replaced that with pipe, but the front cat looked solid, so we left it. So everything from the just past the front cat is brand new. It looks awesome, sounds good. Unfortunately, today I investigated a strange exhaust smell I've been getting through the vents when the truck is stopped. Sure enough, the front cat DOES have a small hole in it, and it DOES rattle when tapped with a hammer.

My question is... Is there a High FLO cat made for the Bronco? The front cat, as you all well know, has 2 pipes going into it, and one going out, I was unable to find a high flow cat with a dual in and single out. Anyone know a manufacturer that makes one?

Also, anyone else out there runnin the I6 with duals on it? How's it sound, and what brand? Overall, I'm satisfied with my exhaust, but it is ALOT quieter than I had expected... like, at idle, it sounds factory, it doesn't rumble at all until around 1000RPM's or higher. Think a high flow cat would help?

Thanks for all the help guys! Can't wait to answer some of your questions!

Aaron

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,191 Posts
FSB is great, but for pure 300 knowledge, check out www.fordsix.com, they know EVERYTHING about the 300, mods, maintenance, everything.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Direct fits can get pricey depending where you buy from. Just buy a universal 2" dual in and single out and you're set to go. I replaced both mine with a single universal 2" dual in, single 2.5" out cat from Catco (bought it from Summit). With a stock 300, I really wouldn't recommend doing dual exhaust....think about it, that's listening to 3cyl/pipe. I'm running a 2.5" single in and out (y-ed) and I like the sound just fine; there's a couple video/sound clips of it in my Supermotors page.

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bri_Guy5: Thanks SO much for that tip. Can't believe I never saw that site before! Just checked it out and applied for registration, they seem to know a LOT!

Project Lazarus: My truck still has one pipe out of the cat, and one pipe into the muffler, it just has dual outs. Alot of people told me not to run true duals on an inline motor, so I didn't. lol. I had a 1987 Suburban with a 350, 4" lift and 33's that I had true duals on, with no cats, and Magnaflow mufflers on either side. The motor was built mild, not too sure of the specs, because I didn't build it, but MAN... if ONLY I could get that exact tone and sound out of my 300, I'd be in heaven. LOL.

Thanks again guys!

Anyone else with suggestions, let me know!

Aaron

P.S. Don't be afraid to get technical on me, I do know more than enough about this kind of stuff, I'm just new to the inline 6!

·
I have a Straight Six
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trust me, I know I can never get a 6 cyl. to sound like an 8 cyl. That just doesnt make sense.

I just said I WISH I could pull the same sound out of it. lol.

Performance wise, I like the setup I have... I know true duals throw performance out the window in most cases, and as was the case in my suburban. But I only used the suburban for pulling/pushing, etc. Never on the highway. It had a 350 Turbo 3SPD, which I built HD, and with a shift kit... I think top speed on it was MAYBE 70... but the motor was tired, it was an older build on the motor, and was starting to age.

Don't worry guys, I'm not going that route with the Bronco.

Aaron

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
With a mildly built 300, I think they sound pretty good; on a stocker I it sounds like s#it, IMHO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts