Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start a build thread for this thing.

A little history.

The wife and I needed something bigger than our Ford ranger that I turned into a rock crawler because we could'nt put 2 carseats in the back for our little girls. My buddy has an 83 suburban that we loved but im a ford guy so we started searching and found this. A 1990 Ford C350 centurion w/1 ton running gear and a 460.

I knew I could build a custom suspension but wasnt sure if I wanted to spend the time and money. So I started looking at lifts and just couldnt find anything that I liked for the money and what you got. So I said screw it lets build it.

The plan for the build.

Approx. 12" of lift, I know big gay truck land but I like lifted trucks.
40's or 44's but for now free 37's

Front:
King pin dana 60 (which it has)
4 link with pan hard bar
05 superduty 6" lift coils.
5:13 gears / locker (ARB/Detroit)
hydro assist
high steer.

Rear:
stearling 10.25 (which it has)
4 link
big rig air bags
5:13 gears / locker (ARB/Detroit)

Custom front whinch bumper w/12klb winch
rear bumper w/tire rack
roof rack
rocker protection
york compressor for air system

There's more I want to do but for now this is the plan.

I'm saying its a SASwap because I took another king pin 60 and built it to go in this and am going to swap it in.

Time to start the build.

Cut off all the brackets on the front, rotated the C's for better pinion angel and still keep my caster. and started mocking up the front truss.

I cant find the pictures of making the 4 link axle mounts but I made them similar to the new superduty mounts. They have 7" of seperation and use spring bushings in them.

I cut part of the driverside perch off to get the 4 link brackets closer to the pumpkin so the tires wouldnt hit the links when turning.

This picture kinda shows the link brackets.

Boxing in the front truss everything is out of 1/4".

The pads for the coils. I'm going to use the bottom spring mounts from a superduty.

superduty spring mount.

I'm pretty far along in the project so I have a lot of photos to add. I'll finish updating next week.

Thanks.

·
Banned
676 Posts
lookn' good but ummm.... it's not a sas. Did it come with the wuntuns, or did a previous owner do the swap? I don't know much about centurions.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Looks like a good build, I'll definitely be watching this one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lookn' good but ummm.... it's not a sas. Did it come with the wuntuns, or did a previous owner do the swap? I don't know much about centurions.
I know its not an sas but I put it in this section because I thought some of the stuff im doing pertains to doing an sas.

It did have one tons already.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it got moved. I am swapping in a different solid axle.

Anyways, setting up the panhard bar / trac bar axle mount.

Started making the arms. The bottoms are 2x3x1/4" and the uppers are 2x3x.120. Using Balistic joints at the frame end, the tops are just the weld on ones and the bottoms are the threaded joints.

cut out the plate to bolt the arms to the axle mounts, bent one side to help with tire clearance.

Finished welding and added a gusset. Also got the lower shock mounts built.

The arms finished and mocked up on the axle. I swear I sat and looked at it like this for 2 weeks, I'm stocked how its coming out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
imo this might be over kill on the arms, i can see the bottom one getting in the way alot offroad.

Everything else is sick

1 - 20 of 92 Posts