Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
All I can say is that if your like me, and buy the four you will always regret not buying the six..............Fog

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
:stupid

I've heard that from many people. I have never heard someone say "man I got this 6 inch lift and really wish I just went with the 4 inch." The only con to the 6 inch that I can really think of is possibly having to get extended brake lines, though not necessary for either application, I would recommend for both applcations, but generally, it's only recommended for 6 inch.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
IMHO and from what i have researched it is technically better to buy a 4" lift and if you want to fit 35" tires then just do some minor fender and front bumper trimming.

The reason is that you will have a lower center of gravity and if you wheel without the sway bars you will not have as much body roll and will be a lot less likely to rollover.

35" tire is the max size recommendation for a TTB D44 and 8.8 anyway, so if you plan on sticking with that size max, then 4" will be plenty sufficient.

Another thing that is arguable is extending the rear drive shaft with a 6" lift may be another added expense that you do not need with just a 4".

So with my personal research you do just as much with a 4" lift and 35's as you can with a 6" lift and 35's, but again the lower center of gravity will be beneficial.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
it depends on the year my friend.. some NEED to have 6" for 35's and some don't .... some NEED to extend the driveshaft and some don't

If I knew the years I would post them, but I don't remember

·
Registered
276 Posts
I had a 4 and wanted a 6 inch lift almost immediately. On my 94 there would have too much fender trimming for my liking to run the 35s I wanted. I finally got the 6 inch and could not be happier. I did get the extend brake lines, but I did not need to have any driveshaft mods done. I have flexed out the front and back as much as I possibly could and have never had a problem. Once again just my experience with a 94.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
I went 4" on my 85 with 35" crapper STTs. IT drove awsome on and offroad. I would always hit the front of my rear fender when I flexed alot.

I took the swaybar off when I put the 4" lift on. I finally went with a 6" after abot 2 years. first thing I noticed was how much it wanders with the 6" over the 4" It's all over the road now as compared to the 4". I'm not sure if thats because I put the spool in at the same time or what it is though.

I would say i your going for looks stay with the 4. IF your going to be wheelin the piss outta the truck go with a 6.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Andy351 said:
i've always heard a spool makes your truck want to drive straighter:shrug
Maybe but we have ruts everywhere on our roads and that spool loves to go in and out of them:( Thats one reason I went to offroad only.. Hate ruts in this truck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
dude...I went from stock to 6" SAS. Under no circumstances should you ever EVER put a 4 inch on if you want to wheel it.
6" is minimum.

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
Andy351 said:
i've always heard a spool makes your truck want to drive straighter:shrug

literally speaking that is correct .. when you gas it, it wants to "PULL" straight as both wheels are driving and controlling the steering wheel a bit more .. just like when you gas it hard in a front wheel drive car.. it wants to pull straight ahead if you let go of the wheel

I am positive that the spool is what is making it wander 85 .. I got 6 inches under mine and it actually tracks and is overall BETTER on the highway and side roads than it did stock :shrug

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
will a detroit have the same affect as the spool will on the steering? or will it track better?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts