Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 1996 bronco. Just did a 4" lift with front now two inches higher than rear. Front coil springs and add a leaf was done at shop. They now tell me I need to drive the car 500 miles and front springs will break in and it will level. Does this sound right? SHould I make them level it now?

·
Too poor for FSM
1,395 Posts
I would let the springs settle. That could ver well be it.
What brand lift?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
Correct, it will take a little bit of time for the springs to settle. 2 inches sounds like a lot, but i mean i can't really decipher in my head really how much higher it would sit. Just give it two weeks and all should be well.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
are the tires tilted out or in on the top? if not then the front end is perfect, and the rear is too low. do a shackle flip in the rear for an extra couple inches.

shackle lift demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhImQLzUocE

if you just flip the bracket on the frame, and bolt it back down, you'll get about 1 3/4 - 2" lift. (in the video, the bracket is moved down on the frame, gaining another 1.5 - 1.75 inches or so)

personally, i doubt the springs will settle even enough to notice. they never seem to settle for me.
or you can just jump the piss out of it until the shock/spring towers up front bend and the front of the truck begins to sag. that should do it too.

·
Runnin you over
672 Posts
Are the beams bolted to the top or bottom hole in the ttb drop brackets?

·
Registered
488 Posts
My bronco did the same thing when I installed the lift. Also if you alignment is off and the wheels are toed in. This will cause the front to raise and look taller. As soon as you back up it will go down. Did they do an alignment after the lift?

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
My bronco did the same thing when I installed the lift. Also if you alignment is off and the wheels are toed in. This will cause the front to raise and look taller. As soon as you back up it will go down. Did they do an alignment after the lift?
thats b/c with a TTB system when you drive in reverse it creates a negative camber. This is not at all a correction to the problem though. Needs to be solved by getting a drop pitman, and camber bushings.

After driving forwards, both front tires should be flat on the ground. driving in reverse shouldn't correct the problem.

Give it two weeks. If the springs don't settle back down, assess the situation from there. But I'm sure you'll notice a big change in a week or two.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
There is no way the front coils are going to settle 2"None of mine ever did. The coils will get a little softer after awhile and maybe drop down a 1/2" but not 2"

·
Registered
81 Posts
i agree 2 inches is alot to settle on just a 4" lift coil. And as Thejuice said make sure they used the correct hole in the axle drop brackets. Also more info would be good, like what kind of lift? Also did you go to a reputable shop?

·
Registered
488 Posts
thats b/c with a TTB system when you drive in reverse it creates a negative camber. This is not at all a correction to the problem though. Needs to be solved by getting a drop pitman, and camber bushings.

After driving forwards, both front tires should be flat on the ground. driving in reverse shouldn't correct the problem.

Give it two weeks. If the springs don't settle back down, assess the situation from there. But I'm sure you'll notice a big change in a week or two.
I wasn't quoting a fix to the problem. Just trying to get more info about this situation. I installed a drop pitman on mine and at the time of install the alignment was way toed in. I do agree the camber bushings and alignment will be the answer to this situation.

Also to the OP of the thread I installed my 4 inch lift the ass of the bronco was low. It pissed me off my bronco always sat level before. So I bought a 4 inch block and u bolts. There isn't enough taper in the block so I had to run the original wedge also.

this is what I got and hated it because the ass was too high

Eventually I just installed the aal and a factory f250 block that is about 2 inchs. Then cut spring perches from the axle and rotated the pinion up and ellimated the factory wedge. Now its as level as I am going to get it.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
If i remember right most of the lifts use a AAL and a 2" block in the rear to get the right height of 4" Cause im pretty sure an AAL will only give you 2".

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Easy... 4 inch lift coils in the front... AAL's in the rear... ALL's give 3 inches of lift... So the manufacture plans on the fact that your avarage bronco sits about 1 inch lower in the front from the factory... So there ya go.

To fix it, put a 1 inch block (dont recomend) or get rid of the AAL and do a shackle flip.

If i remember right most of the lifts use a AAL and a 2" block in the rear to get the right height of 4" Cause im pretty sure an AAL will only give you 2".
Standard length (short) AAL's are 3 inches. Long AAL's can differ..... And it's 6" lifts use the AAL + block.

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
Easy... 4 inch lift coils in the front... AAL's in the rear... ALL's give 3 inches of lift... So the manufacture plans on the fact that your avarage bronco sits about 1 inch lower in the front from the factory... So there ya go.

To fix it, put a 1 inch block (dont recomend) or get rid of the AAL and do a shackle flip.

Standard length (short) AAL's are 3 inches. Long AAL's can differ..... And it's 6" lifts use the AAL + block.
You are right. Its been awhile since ive done anything with a TTB

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
Hi. I have a 1996 bronco. Just did a 4" lift with front now two inches higher than rear. Front coil springs and add a leaf was done at shop. They now tell me I need to drive the car 500 miles and front springs will break in and it will level. Does this sound right? SHould I make them level it now?
He said the rear had add a leaf lift......anyone think there is a possibility his rear springs maybe shot? Before you had the lift done did the rear of the truck seam a little low?

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
He said the rear had add a leaf lift......anyone think there is a possibility his rear springs maybe shot? Before you had the lift done did the rear of the truck seam a little low?
x3

That is exactly what happened to me. I recently had new custom springs made, which cured all of my problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the feedback. I will take another look and remeasure in a day or two. Looks still high. Took it to an experienced custom shop referred to me by the ford dealer nearby. They guy told me if it doesn't settle enough he will level the rear with blocks. Not sure where it is bolted on or whether there are difference spots to bolt onto. Its a procomp lift with add a leaf. Supposed to be 4" and alignment was done after. I have factory front axel. Also another quick question. This vehicle is new to me and it has electronic locking hubs. 4WD engaged fine b/f lifting, brake job, and new rims. No it seems the hubs don't lock...any thoughts? Putting the vehicle in neutral, pressing button causes clunk of the transfer case engaging, no power to front, was fishtailing in the dirt...steering wheel still loose like in 2wd.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts