Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I ended up getting a pretty nice 87 2wd F-150, F.I. inline six and 3-speed w/OD. It is kinda hard to shift in the mornings until the fluid gets warmed up and even after then it's not the slickest unit in the world. It doesn't grind gears though. I was thinking it needs the fluid changed out for some good stuff. What should I use? Synthetic, regular? What weight/type?
Thanks!

·
Banned
22,024 Posts
If you have the owner's manual, look in it. It has a full list of every lubricant, but it depends on the MODEL of transmission you have. What do you have? If you don't know, post the TRANS code from the door sticker. You might even find a tag on the trans that specifies the fluid, so take a look.

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Your SROD can use 80-90, and if Im not mistaken thats the thinnest gear oil (or is it the other way around)

BTW there is no drain plug on one of those POS's.

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
'94, '92, '88, and '84 Broncos
6,970 Posts
Could it also be a TOD or whatever? Get the trans code like steve said and also post what the shifter knob says?

Do you have to push down for reverse?

Adrianspeeder

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The trans code says "B" and my shift knob says 1-2-3-OD. There is nothing special I have to do to put it in reverse though.
Thanks

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,970 Posts
I think you have the TOD. Would be the first one I have ever seen. These things are pretty rare now do to them just not surviving. Would make sense too. SROD from 80-84, then the TOD from 84-87, then finally a nice OD tranny in 88 with the M5OD. What is the shifter pattern?

Does it look like this SROD? (thanks to 81bronk36)...

Adrianspeeder

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
Yup, Ive never heard of a person actually having a TOD either, so some pics would be very very very well appreciated.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
those links suck. I think we pointed that out when they didnt know what auto trannies came in FSB's

·
Banned
22,024 Posts
:goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge

I never said either of them had pics of a TOD. :twak

Re-read what you've quoted. :deal

I just said to TRY them. :rolleyes:

:wacko :popc1:

Own this, beeeyaaaaaaaaaaach!

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
:lolup :rofl:

·
USAF C-17 Maintenance
6,970 Posts
Steve83 said:
:goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge :goodfinge

I never said either of them had pics of a TOD. :twak

Re-read what you've quoted. :deal

I just said to TRY them. :rolleyes:

:wacko :popc1:

Own this, beeeyaaaaaaaaaaach!
So you knowingly put up links that have nothin to do with the topic? I respect you for your knowledge, but sometimes I wonder...

Adrianspeeder

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
So you knowingly put up links that have nothin to do with the topic? I respect you for your knowledge, but sometimes I wonder...

Adrianspeeder
Ya it was a nice save... dunno why he bothered to post it then....

·
Banned
22,024 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
...nothin to do with the topic...
HUH? Are you not reading the same thread that I am????
81Bronk36 said:
...some pics would be very very very well appreciated.
So how do you figure that links to photos of transmissions isn't on-topic? :scratchhe The fact that they didn't happen to have the ONE he's looking for is moot - I don't memorize everything on every page of the internet! :deal I pointed him to some possible sources of the photos he wanted. :wacko

·
FSB warrior
6,117 Posts
I want some pics of this guys TOD, not a whole bunch of jeep trannies

1 - 20 of 20 Posts