Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in possibly converting the RABS on my 89 over to 4 wheel ABS. What would be the biggest obstacles in a swap like this (sorry my laptop wont make question marks atm for some odd reason). I can get the ABS pump setup easily enough, and the hubs and knuckles as well. The wiring and sensors would be the hardest part I can think of and even that I can get ahold of. Would this be a feasible conversion (yeah still no question marks...). For those of you wondering why I would want it, I had a situation in my old bronco (an almost identical 91) where I was driving in very hard rain (yeah cali guys you have no clue) and I locked up the fronts and went for a slide and almost had a bad wreck. Seeing as I will be headed back to Louisiana in the future to live I would definitely like 4 wheel ABS. Plus lower insurance rates is a bit of a plus.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
to be honest, the 4WABS is absolutely horrible... Its a disaster in the snow for sure, i just tap the pedal and my wheels all lock up and i go sliding though stop signs.... I'm not sure if its really worth it...

up to you if you really want it

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well if you saw the movie day after tomorrow, at the end where they show the earth from the space station and you see the US covered in snow.... well Louisiana still doesnt have any snow... JK but yeah I am more worried with braking in the rain, which is not nearly as bad as in the snow. I have seen video of cars with much better ABS systems than brooncos sliding around in snow and ice. I am just looking for something better than what I have currently.

·
Super Moderator
25,781 Posts
yo,
I agree w/ORK in that my 4WABS Control Module burnt up 2 yrs ago and I had a bear of a time getting a yard module..in fact, I tried a few and they were toasted too- and no returns or $ back on 2 of them so I have old school braking now and am ok with it; Ford doesn't have a new modules left in stock; last one local good guy parts man at local dealer gort last one remaining in US, but someone at the other dealer or warehouse had swapped a bad one in the box...lol

Also the HCU is a bear too... usually the valve coils short out.. costs $ to get a rebuilt unit from BBA

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
The system isn't bad when it's fully functional, though. :toothless

I would love to get another HCU, pull it apart, and see if I can't rebuilt it. The control modules...eh...I'm fairly sure we can port one over from another vehicle with little difficulty. The system isn't that sophisticated, really.

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As far as the controller it is all self contained correct (yeah still no question marks on this dumb Canadian laptop... wants to type É). I have not looked at the plug to see if the two are similar or even identical. Just wondering if the control box takes any outside influence beyond the wheel speed sensors.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts

Needs acceleration 'sensor' and pump speed input as well.

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm... I may see how hard it would be to retrofit these into my rig. Will look around a bit. Do you know exactly where these items are located (yup STILL no question marks, lol). The pump speed input, would seem that refers to an input from the pump on the unit.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
If you look through the album containing that thumbnail, somewhere in there is a diagram pinpointing almost all of the critical components of the system, as well as diagnostic routines and so on.

The pump does indeed create a signal for the controller to verify that the pump motor is operating. I had a helluva time getting a related issue resolved, after corrosion had caused the brush holder in the motor to pull away from the armature. JB Weld can do wonderful things....

You can make a question mark by holding the ALT key, and keying in '63', less the single quotes.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
why the hell would you WANT abs? can't you drive?

ABS is for idiots who panic-stop and don't know how to drive. it sucks in all applications except panic stops by armature drivers on dry asphalt.

my explorer had ABS. i removed the fuse.

i can't comment much for frozen surfaces since i've only driven on them a few times (in non abs trucks)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
why the hell would you WANT abs? can't you drive?

ABS is for idiots who panic-stop and don't know how to drive. it sucks in all applications except panic stops by armature drivers on dry asphalt.
...says the guy that ALSO says:

i can't comment much for frozen surfaces since i've only driven on them a few times (in non abs trucks)
:doh0715:

You just made your argument moot, and no, we're NOT idiots. It's difficult at best to stop a 5000-pound tool shed on black ice when you have no warning, someone ahead does something stupid, the wind starts blowing your truck sideways, etc.

Spend a year up here in GR, I'll show you why 4WABS is f*cking awesome.

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I drive a jeep now with no ABS and have no problems. But I will say that when its raining like no tomorrow, ABS is a nice thing to have. This isnt an issue so much for me, but to help make the beast drivable for the lil lady. She has never driven a vehicle half the size of a bronco and never one without ABS. Dont need her sliding the truck into something cause she locks up the brakes. I am also swapping my stock booster and MC for a hydro booster and 1 ton MC so it will be easy to put a lotta braking down.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a situation in my old bronco (an almost identical 91) where I was driving in very hard rain (yeah cali guys you have no clue) and I locked up the fronts and went for a slide and almost had a bad wreck. Seeing as I will be headed back to Louisiana in the future to live I would definitely like 4 wheel ABS. Plus lower insurance rates is a bit of a plus.
Easier fix and costs a lot less $$$ than trying to make a car 4WABS that isn't.

Learn to drive in the rain...

Title: Don't lock up your brakes, or Learn not to tailgate!

If you feel your front end locking up, remove your left foot off of the brake petal and reapply pressure, repeat process until car comes to a stop or vehicle is back under control.

I'm sorry but if your "lil lady" can only drive a vehicle with ABS, then your "lil lady" is not a safe driver in my eyes. You shouldn't rely on automated systems to save your ass.

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts

You just made your argument moot, and no, we're NOT idiots. It's difficult at best to stop a 5000-pound tool shed on black ice when you have no warning, someone ahead does something stupid, the wind starts blowing your truck sideways, etc.

:stupid

I hate soccer moms that slam their brakes in their little Camry while driving in front of me. :smilie_slap

·
Super Moderator
25,781 Posts
yo Sig,
btw, this is what boss did;
4WABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) Motor; "...pulled a motor off a crown vic, the unit it self was differant but the motor was the same. Cost me 20 bucks. OH and the wire conector was differant as well but I just drafted the one from the nfg motor on to the crown and it works great. That was 4 years ago. no problems yet...its only 2 screws that hold it in. And best part is it doesn't open the system so you won't loose fluid and won't need to bleed it. Now all you need to do is go to the bone yard and find one..."
Source: by bossind (boss, Steve) at FSB

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts

I mentioned that I don't have much snow/ice experience because i dont like making arguments based on assumptions, or making shit up. so i left the snow/ice performance issues up for debate. what i did say is that in every driving condition I've experienced (wet and dry pavement, dirt, mud sand etc) ABS has been worthless at best (in some cases, like on loose dirt, mud, and sand it doesn't stop for shit.. ever tried slamming on ABS on dirt?) so from that aspect i don't like abs. i also like the ability to bail from an over-steered corner (where the rear comes out and the front is pointed inward) by slamming on the brakes to skid-out as i come out of the turn (sideways) instead of letting the tires pull me into the inside of the turn when the regain traction because i don't have a sharp enough turning radius to point the front wheels back down the road again (yes i have saved my ass this way.. twice)

Easier fix and costs a lot less $$$ than trying to make a car 4WABS that isn't.

Learn to drive in the rain...

Title: Don't lock up your brakes, or Learn not to tailgate!

If you feel your front end locking up, remove your left foot off of the brake petal and reapply pressure, repeat process until car comes to a stop or vehicle is back under control.

I'm sorry but if your "lil lady" can only drive a vehicle with ABS, then your "lil lady" is not a safe driver in my eyes. You shouldn't rely on automated systems to save your ass.
^^^ that's what i'm talking about. automated systems can suck it.

·
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There will always be people who can do without the automated systems. If I am not mistaken, arent they making roll stability systems standard now? (WOOHOO! question marks work after a restart) I personally dont see a need for such but dont ya think it has its place? Lets face it, some people need these things, and personally I think my girl does. She does not drive large vehicles often at all and is used to small car brakes. So I want to keep her safe. I have grown fond of her.
So back to the original discussion, does anyone know of any other issues with the idea of this conversion? Does anyone know where the "acceleration sensor" is located and what it gets its signal from?

·
Registered
150 Posts
There will always be people who can do without the automated systems. If I am not mistaken, arent they making roll stability systems standard now? (WOOHOO! question marks work after a restart) I personally dont see a need for such but dont ya think it has its place? Lets face it, some people need these things, and personally I think my girl does. She does not drive large vehicles often at all and is used to small car brakes. So I want to keep her safe. I have grown fond of her.
So back to the original discussion, does anyone know of any other issues with the idea of this conversion? Does anyone know where the "acceleration sensor" is located and what it gets its signal from?
All things aside wouldn't you girl be better off if she learned how to drive with out the aids? I can understand you want to make her safe, but if you teach her how to drive properly, she will be even more safer with the abs....just think about it.

·
Premium Member
5,396 Posts
All things aside wouldn't you girl be better off if she learned how to drive with out the aids? I can understand you want to make her safe, but if you teach her how to drive properly, she will be even more safer with the abs....just think about it.
Yep. just teach her to drive. I'm always telling my girl how to drive "you're tailgating.. don't cut people off... stop flipping off other drivers"

oh, and stuff like how to stop correctly in a panic situation without automated crap, how to control the car in a slide, etc.

·
Too many broncos!
1,240 Posts
I'm sure if you look around you might be able to grab everything you need from someone on here that has ditched their bronco (Parting out) or maybe even deleted their ABS after a SAS etc.. I see Broncos up on cragislist daily that are being parted out.. maybe keep an eye out for one with ABS and get it that way..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts