Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my new 78 Bronco in four wheel 4L yesterday as it was stuck due to snow plowing, and all my wheels spun but my drivers side rear. I don't have much experience in 4 wheel drives, though I have been around cars all my life. Does this mean my rear end is going out or does it mean there is an issue with my 4 wheel engaging? I could use your advice. Thanks-

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sounds like you just have whats called an open differential

It is where power only goes to the path of least resistance

If your curious and want to know for sure jack up the rear end. And with both tires off the groung rotate the tire and if the opposite side turns the opposite direction you have an open diff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, I would need to rebuild the rear end to fix this? It seems like in a four wheel drive that open differential would not be a great thing.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
There is nothing to fix. That is the way it was setup from the factory. You can change out the carrier for a locker to get traction to both wheels if you want to. Do a search for detroit locker, posi rear end, you'll come up with plenty of info to read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll do it. I would think posi would be the way to go anyway. Also, I am looking at putting in Warn hubs. I don't plan on any hardcore 4x4 action, so do I need the premium hubs, or will the standard warn hubs work? I guess the price different is only $25, what are the benefits? By the way, this website is about the coolest thing since my new Bronco!

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
An Auburn would be great in the rear. The Warn hubs would be fine. Lots of guys want those to break before the stub shafts. Like a circuit breaker.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
For most stock vehicles, 4x4 is misnomer. It actually means 2wd, one front, one rear. Some vehicles don't even get that (NP203 with the center diff disengaged for instance.)

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
For most stock vehicles, 4x4 is misnomer. It actually means 2wd, one front, one rear. Some vehicles don't even get that (NP203 with the center diff disengaged for instance.)
Technically, yes. But even with only one in front and one in rear, theres an enormous advantage over just both rears. I just went thru this the other night after an all-day rain. :thumbup

·
Banned
495 Posts
i fyou dont got much money you could weld the spiders on your open and run that, then the tires will ALWAYS turn on the rear..

Ray

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Thats not a good idea, either. If you want them locked that much, just get a spool or mini spool, they dont cost much. But, thats not a good idea in the snow, I would think, or a DD for that matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts