Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had all fluids changed in trans case, dif. with synth m1. Has 4 wd button on dash. Checked fuses all good. still wont work. Should I replace switch on dash?

·
Registered
674 Posts
It worked ok before the fluid change?

If you suspect the switch, surely you could pull the switch out and close the circuit to check it.

Do a search- a lot of folks have issues with the electronic shift setup. Some convert to the manual setup on the floor.

·
Registered
330 Posts
IF you are serious about four wheeling, you need to think about converting to Manual Hubs. The later model automatic hubs are bad, they never work right; and seem to not work when you need them. Do a search, there are many posts about it.

If you can find the electrical problem, great. But THAT can be problem of it's own!

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
or the money for that matter lol
Hey K, I'm with you man. But a lot of us (myself included) have spent more than an hour or 3 or whatever trying to get these stupid-assed electric t-cases to work, but to no avail. Which is exactly why I invented the Shiftster. Cuz as beautiful as the SOTF system is when it works, it's about as f'ng useful as a football bat when it doesn't. Trust me, $59.00 is a fricken deal when you compare it to keeping an extra hundred dollar-plus motor bouncing around in your truck when you're out on the trails, or going thru this whole ridiculous troubleshooting shit when you're ass deep in mud---or worse yet, getting towed home at $11.00 a mile................:toothless

·
Registered
193 Posts
I personally got tired of the trouble shooting I had tried to do on my electric shift, after two months of wire chasing and ordering a newer elec. shift module, and trouble shooting the electric shift control unit on the transfer case I called it quits. I put on manual hubs and the shiftster knob on my transfer case. I figure if I'm going off road, i'll just stop, turn the knob and hop back in and have fun!

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Hey K, I'm with you man. But a lot of us (myself included) have spent more than an hour or 3 or whatever trying to get these stupid-assed electric t-cases to work, but to no avail. Which is exactly why I invented the Shiftster. Cuz as beautiful as the SOTF system is when it works, it's about as f'ng useful as a football bat when it doesn't. Trust me, $59.00 is a fricken deal when you compare it to keeping an extra hundred dollar-plus motor bouncing around in your truck when you're out on the trails, or going thru this whole ridiculous troubleshooting shit when you're ass deep in mud---or worse yet, getting towed home at $11.00 a mile................:toothless
I agree with you man, you've certainly tapped into a larger market of people who can't follow directions to fix their electric unit! :histerica

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with you man, you've certainly tapped into a larger market of people who can't follow directions to fix their electric unit! :histerica
Thing is, I appreciated all the help I got from the forum while troubleshooting mine. I even followed the directions for testing the module, took mine apart, cleaned it, ohm checked the resistors, re-pasted the chips on the little heat sink, put it back together, it tested fine (so did the newer unit). The harnesses that connect to the unit have rather large bundles attached, now how pray tell is a person who can trouble shoot gonna chase those wires other than dismantling my ride? I didn't feel like strippin the bronc and spending more man hours trouble shooting 20 year old wiring to have fun.
Now if I had no experiance with trouble shooting a multi-circuited monster of a system i'd have to wonder if it would be worth it. I'd say if you don't understand any of the trouble shooting procedures and don't have someone nearbye to help, then just go manual, save yourself the time and money of buying new units only to find it isn't the problem....just spend the cash on the manual conversion (which works first time) and go out and let that beast do what it was built to do....make ya smile:thumbup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts