Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went up wheelin today and came across another problem. No 4low!? I have an '87 with the stupid push button 4 wheel. Replaced the transfer case motor just 3 months ago and both 4hi and 4low used to work now i am only getting 4hi. When i push low i get nothing, not even the clicking noise you here behind the dash, NOTHING! SO, what you guys think. Could the 4wheel switch on the dash gone bad?? Only thing i can figure. Any thoughts?? I swear every time i take it out i find something else that needs fixed. Would think i have about replaced everything on the truck at least once by now! It gets frustrating!! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
damn that sucks, i know how you feel, ive been working on a 69 Bronco for some time now too,
my best bet, would be check ALL wiring, when you replaced the motor, you probably couldve have gotten a short circuit type deal, and /or fuse, but FIRST* check the dash, it will be the easiest thing to do*

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The electric 4WD isnt stupid, but an owner who doesn't search FSB before starting a thread may be!

http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/documents/electric1356/elec1356.htm

Follow that link to diagnose your system.
Thanks for the smarta$$ comment. You remind me of my wife. And i found that thread before but it does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Just a dumbass fireman who is just tryin to figure out how to fix the truck without a lot of experiance in it. Just trying to see if there was someone out there who had experienced the same problem. But hey thanks for assuming :smilie_slap

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok update. Got my kiddo to take a nap so i had a minute to go outside and try to trouble shoot for a minute. I was hoping the switch was to blame for my problem but when i push the 4low button it is showing it is sending power out. So when i push the botton it is getting power but not doing anything. Not even the clicking it makes in the dash, and yes i do have it in nuetral. Again 4high works perfectly fine. Last time i used 4lo ( a few months ago) it worked fine but not now. I did replace an ignition switch last week but other than that i have done nothing to it since i used 4lo last. Any ideals guys. I am new to this mechanic thing and can not figure this one out. Please help!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And i am totally open to any ideals guys. Me and the wife leave thursday morning for our honeymoon in southwest colorado and planned on taking the bronco and exploring some old mining/ghost towns. I just can not figure this one out!!:banghead

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Thanks for the smarta$$ comment. You remind me of my wife. And i found that thread before but it does not make a whole lot of sense to me. Just a dumbass fireman who is just tryin to figure out how to fix the truck without a lot of experiance in it. Just trying to see if there was someone out there who had experienced the same problem. But hey thanks for assuming :smilie_slap
Can't u follow dirctions? I'm a fireman too and this isn't rocket science. That link is very detailed and gives explicit step by step instructions. How far did u get?

Next time u ask a question make sure u post up all the steps u took so far and what the results were.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
And i am totally open to any ideals guys. Me and the wife leave thursday morning for our honeymoon in southwest colorado and planned on taking the bronco and exploring some old mining/ghost towns. I just can not figure this one out!!:banghead
If you got an extra $55.00 laying around, I can solve all your problems in 4 minutes..........:toothless

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can't u follow dirctions? I'm a fireman too and this isn't rocket science. That link is very detailed and gives explicit step by step instructions. How far did u get?

Next time u ask a question make sure u post up all the steps u took so far and what the results were.
so much for the noobie flame free zone huh?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so much for the noobie flame free zone huh?
Kind of my feelings exactly. This diagram stuff to me is like reading greek. Maybe i am an idiot but it just does not make sense, as i said i am new to this whole do it yourself thing. This one is above me which is why i asked hoping someone maybe had the same problem before and could help. And i did say what steps i took. Again, i recently replace ignition switch (last week) which is the only thing i have done to it in a few months. The motor is new and 4hi works just fine. Push 4lo and nothing. But when you push 4lo switch it does send power so i know the switch is GOOD. Beyond that i have no clue:whiteflag

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
I'm not flaming, but people that say they searched but didn't follow the directions won't follow directions people post in their replies to the thread.

Start with this: Reference Fig 22 in the link I posted.

The obvious first step in diagnosing a dead system is to check the power sources, fuses and grounds. If these check out, you should run the shift control module self-test. Figure 22 shows the module with pigtail "A," "B" and "C" attachments. The self-test button and self-test LED are located on the side of the shift control module.

Disconnect the "B" and "C" connectors, turn on the ignition and allow 4 seconds for the module to power up. Then push the self-test button. If the LED doesn't illuminate, the module is dead and must be replaced. If the LED comes on and stays on for 30 seconds, there is an error condition and the module will have to be replaced. If the module is OK the LED will flash 4 times.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you got an extra $55.00 laying around, I can solve all your problems in 4 minutes..........:toothless

Anybody running one of these and if so how r they? Is it a pain to crawl under the truck and shift them? Thank you!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm not flaming, but people that say they searched but didn't follow the directions won't follow directions people post in their replies to the thread.

Start with this: Reference Fig 22 in the link I posted.

The obvious first step in diagnosing a dead system is to check the power sources, fuses and grounds. If these check out, you should run the shift control module self-test. Figure 22 shows the module with pigtail "A," "B" and "C" attachments. The self-test button and self-test LED are located on the side of the shift control module.

Disconnect the "B" and "C" connectors, turn on the ignition and allow 4 seconds for the module to power up. Then push the self-test button. If the LED doesn't illuminate, the module is dead and must be replaced. If the LED comes on and stays on for 30 seconds, there is an error condition and the module will have to be replaced. If the module is OK the LED will flash 4 times.
Ok but what the hell and where the hell is the shift module??? And its not that i wont follow directions its the fact that i dont have a clue what the hell the directions are telling me. Again i am new to this whole thing and trying to learn which is why i am here..!

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Ok but what the hell and where the hell is the shift module??? And its not that i wont follow directions its the fact that i dont have a clue what the hell the directions are telling me. Again i am new to this whole thing and trying to learn which is why i am here..!
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115177

Post 6.

and here's another thread for you to peruse.

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138240

I found them in 20 seconds using Google and searching "Ford Bronco four wheel drive shift module".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts