Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyway (non difficult completly noob way )to check to see if the 4 wheel drive works on a bronco? or do you just wait till u get stuck and then see if all 4 tires spin haha

·
Registered
71 Posts
put her in 4lo, lock the hubs, and try and power brake. if it spins the back than its in 2wd. if it go than you got 4wd

·
Registered
643 Posts
jak it up of all 4's or get on some loose road and gas it

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
Engage your t-case, lock your hubs and jack the front up. Both front wheels should turn.

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
stangmata50l said:
(1) Pull up to the side of a building with your front bumper

(2) Engage 4wd

(3) Grab your testicles with your left hand and your wheel with your right

(4) Hold the gas to the floor

(5) Let us know what happened

:rockon
This is actually the best way to test it. Just make sure you have someone there with pics to catch proof of the 4 wheel drive working.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
stangmata50l said:
There is no way (i hope not anyway) that someone would sit there and turn their wheel hard enough to pull their truck off of the stands.
Okay, My mistake, I didn't realize that you meant that he should turn his wheels by hand.

Still, if the 4wd works, but he has no posi, then one wheel will turn while the other turns backwards, right?

But if there is no 4wd and no posi, then they might both turn, or they might turn opposite directions, or maybe only one would turn.

If there is 4wd AND posi, then you won't be able to turn them by hand.

IF there is NO 4wd, but there is Posi (wierd, huh?) then they will both turn in the same direction.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,075 Posts
I did mean to say turn them by hand and look to see whether your front drive shaft is turning or not. Thanks stangmata.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
unless the T-case isnt engaging. get on a dirt road and nail it in 2wn. then lock hubs and 4x4 and notice the difference.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys i went out onto a dirt road and took your advice haha it definitly works... lol took a while to clean up though... hopefully ill be able to throw up some pictures next week hehe thanks again

·
Registered
71 Posts
another option is to lock the hubs and try and spin the drive shaft it shouldnt spin. then unlock the hubs and then put the t-case in 4h and try and spin the front d-shaft by hand. if it still doesnt spin than you have a working 4x4.

·
Registered
42 Posts
but what if you're parking on a hill, with the park brake on
and the hubs not locked, and the transmission in neutral
--------N E way, i like the 'put it in 4WD, lock and rip it
on dirt, or better yet DEEP, GOOEY MUDD

grip it n ripp it!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts